Menu
mattyS
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Strong coming in. Weak distribution

Good evening! So I’ve just upgraded to 1GB download speeds. And had my hub 4 arrive. Now up until this I’ve had the hub 3, in modem mode as I have a ASUS rapture router and it’s been a winning combo. Stunning router especially for gaming. The new hub 4 arrived and I’ve set it up. Firstly I can not seem to get the rapture to talk to the new hub 4 in modem mode at all. No internet at all which is a massive shame if that’s the case as it’s brilliant. But my annoyingly... the hub 4 in normal router mode I’m also struggling with. When I test the speeds with Samknows. From the outside world to my router I get the speeds I’m paying for. But it doesn’t matter if it’s my MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone (12 pro) my downloads across WiFi to my devises are about 20-40 mbps. A huge difference in speeds. The router is in a high, predominant place. Nothing blocking it. I’ve tested it with devises close to the router and far away. Samknows also tells me the same readings I get from other speed test sites. That my download speed across WiFi is 20-40mbps. 

Does anyone have any advise, know where I’m going wrong. 

much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strong coming in. Weak distribution

Try connecting the router again this way see if it helps.

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it.  Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta.  Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off.  Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub.  Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
mattyS
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. I will certainly try that. A follow up question... should the hub 4 light go magenta when in modem mode? As it hasn’t in the past. It’s says in modem mode when I go into its settings. It doesn’t send out a WiFi signal. But it doesn’t go magenta. It stays white. 

0 Kudos
mattyS
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And thank you John for taking the time to respond and give a detailed solution. It’s very much appreciated. I have a day off on Friday so will play around then. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The protocol was for the Hub3 - I have never seen the Hub4 but I think your observation is correct that it doesnt go Magenta in modem mode - someone else should comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The hub 4 ring at the top stays white in modem modem mode. I too have an Asus router (RT-AX82U) and works well with the hub 4 in modem mode.

Start the Asus router first then place the Hub 4 in modem mode and the Asus router should detect the hub 4 as soon as it's fully started up. Also if you suffer slow speed from the Asus router make sure you turn off QoS and gaming modes in the Asus if it has them, I found in mine I couldn't get above 270mb on any device until I turned these off 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
mattyS
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

thank you both so much for your information. I’m off today so will try these methods in the hope it works. I’d very very happy and excited to get my ASUS back up and running with it. There’s no reason it shouldn’t. 

0 Kudos
Gerry_Atric
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Make sure 5 Ghz wifi is enabled. I've seen an example of someone suffering from slow speeds and it turned out they only had 2.4 Ghz wifi enabled.

0 Kudos
mattyS
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This worked perfectly and I’m now up and running back on ASUS router. I checked QoS while I was there and all these things are off so that’s ok. 

I have noticed a big difference in speeds between 5g and the 2.4 in the past so I was aware of that pitfall already. Thanks for making sure though. As it’s massive difference in speeds. 

I followed it as above. Turned the router on first. Put the hub 4 into modem mode and once it had all come back online it worked. I’m now getting download speeds of over 800mbps on my iPhone 12 pro which is around where I expected it to be instead of 40. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good stuff bud, glad your up and running the way you wanted 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158