cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still slow Broadband after 12 months

saracen3
On our wavelength

Well 12 months have passed and nothing has changed, well it has but it's worse. I rang VM last week with the intentions of leaving but got talked into trying the all bells and whistles 500mbps package with an O2 SIM which I don't need as I am still in contract else where. But I was told it comes with the package which is still cheaper (just) than my last package!

Anyway it arrived and i fit it as per the book and woe be tide nothing. Now I am assured by Virgin that my last 200mbps router was showing the full 200 so the new 500mbps would solve my problems but it has not. Now my 3 Apple devices (2 iPhones and a iPad) rocketed into the 400's, my Windows10 laptop in the same room as the VM Hub 20 to 30mbps, my PC which is upstairs and connected via Ethernet: T-P Link AV600 PowerLine and Wireless: Trendnet AC1900 High Power Duel Band Wireless USB Adapter, both managed around 20 to 30mbps and sometimes as low as 0.80 mbps!!!!

What I need to know because VM don't know and I certainly don't, how even upstairs my iPhone can do 407mbps and my PC and Laptop a measly 20 to 30, is it the house or the devices that have the problem? I have even replaced some of the VM cables (rightly or wrongly I don't know) with BlueRigger RG6 Coaxial Cable with F-Type connectors. My next step before my 14 days is up is to ask for a couple of Pods which are included in my package to see if they help. I am sorry for going on but I have just about had enough now so I hope somebody can help me, please????

20 REPLIES 20

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Powerline adaptors are not good. Also you are not allowed under the Ts&Cs to replace any VM cables.  Speed tests need to be done wired directly to the Hub with a Cat6a cable. VM do not guarantee WiFi speeds.  If you are eligible for free Pods, get those and remove all other extenders etc. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

saracen3
On our wavelength
OK thanks for the info, I'll give it a try, Mick

saracen3
On our wavelength
Hi, well I did what you suggested, I have spent all morning running a 15m cat7 Ethernet cable from my living room, outside and up to my bedroom/office where my pc is, connected it up did a Which speed test and got 45mbps, Ookla Speedtest.net gave me 50.1mbps. OK, it's faster than what I've been getting but surely at a 500mbps package shouldn't I be getting more than that or am I being to optimistic?

Excuse me if you will but your original post was a tad confusing for me.  Are you saying that you get roughly the speeds you expect over wifi, but ethernet is always slow?

You should be seeing the full 500 Mbps with a Cat 7 cable and gigabit capable ethernet devices.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do the test this way.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a/7 ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected to the network

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

saracen3
On our wavelength

My 30 to 40 mbps was both Ethernet and wifi on both my pc and laptop but not Apple devices. Where do I find whether my devices are Gigabit enabled?

OK, before going into modem mode I did the safe mode + networking test.

Sam knows

Mozilla Firefox  download 1144mbps up 205mbps

saracen3
On our wavelength

And 

Microsoft Edge down 1145mbps up 244mbps

saracen3
On our wavelength
Removed a few programs last night including a couple of Acer pre-installed and others. started my pc in normal mode today. I have just done a SamKnows test, 12.7mbps download speed and 48mbps upload!! If I am getting 1145mbps in Safe Mode does that mean something on my PC is the problem and if so how do I find out what it is?