Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speeds fluctuate wildly off of vpn.

Need some advice as official support just said they don’t know and come ask people here. 

So I have a 200 combined connection (as advertised) And my network equipment tops out at 100mbs. So shouldn’t be hitting the limits of my connection to virgin media. 

When watching a twitch stream it will be fine for a few minutes then the buffer will degrade and a buffering interruption occurs. Watching the speeds I see my speed fluctuate between 3mbs to 30mbs with the drops occurring when it goes low obviously.

now when I turn in my connection to nord vpn the connection is way more stable. Not perfect but far less drops and buffers. Some features of twitch are blocked when using a vpn so I’d like to use the vpn when browsing more sensitive sites to prevent tracking and allow the regular connection when watching twitch. 

however as my connection without the vpn isn’t as good it’s frustrating at best to use the direct virgin connection. 

so my question is. What would make a vpn connection better than a direct one to virgin ? Surely it should be the opposite. 

my connection is wired to a hub 3.0 with a static IP address configured in windows settings and using the 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 dns (testing the default virgin and 8.8.8.8 google dns options were slower and even more drops in speed were noticed) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speeds fluctuate wildly off of vpn.

Can you explain "200 combined connection" please, I haven't come across that before.

How are you testing Wi-Fi or ethernet connected device ?

You say you are getting 100Mbs, this is indicative of a low cat cable or a Network Interface Card at 10/100Mbs.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin say I get 200mbs but obviously the include the up and down don’t they so isn’t a full 200down. 

my connection is wired so Ethernet. And using a speed test service shows the connection maxing out in task manager at 100mbs. 

and the 100mbs limit is due to having a max of 100mbs on my network equipment. 

currently able to reactivate the twitch things that weren’t working by removing the cyber security setting from the vpn. So now am able to do what I want with a steady connection. But still doesn’t explain why a vpn connection is faster and more stable than a direct virgin one. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@99adgil wrote:

Virgin say I get 200mbs but obviously the include the up and down don’t they so isn’t a full 200down. 

Not so, the 200 Mb/s package means 200 Mb/s down (actually it's often closer to 200 and you should have 20 (usually 21-22) upstream

my connection is wired so Ethernet. And using a speed test service shows the connection maxing out in task manager at 100mbs. 

currently able to reactivate the twitch things that weren’t working by removing the cyber security setting from the vpn. So now am able to do what I want with a steady connection. But still doesn’t explain why a vpn connection is faster and more stable than a direct virgin one. 

Not usual but it can happen this way though and it's often down to a routing issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@99adgil wrote:

A 200Mb connection is 220Mb down and 21Mbps up. 

If your hardware only supports 100Mb you're wanting money on a speed you will never reach.

As for the Twitch problem it may help to do a Traceroute to a Twitch streaming service such as 

video-edge-c6d520.lhr04.abs.hls.ttvnw.net

0 Kudos