Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Speeds below 4mbps > turn device wifi off/on > speeds above 100mbps > repeat all day

This issue has been affecting me for a couple of months. I thought it was just one machine and have been troubleshooting that, but noticed recently that my phone has the same results from speed tests. 

The available speeds drop massively, I switch wifi off/on in the OS, then speeds immediately return. This happens several times an hour, sometimes more. 

I have a Hub 3.0 which I've reset several times. The Hub was provided as a replacement by Virgin a year ago, who also replaced cabling in the street to help with generally low speeds. I'm in Oxford. 

I'm not sure what other info to provide to guide a possible diagnosis, but would appreciate any help or ideas. 

Thanks, Ben

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speeds below 4mbps > turn device wifi off/on > speeds above 100mbps > repeat all day

Do you have any devices connected by ethernet cables? If so are they affected too? If not - can you connect one and see if they have the same issues.?

First, do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing.  Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. 

Then try doing a factory reset of the Hub - do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.  Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.  Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

Also.....  If its just a wifi issue and as its the Hub3 and a reset doesnt sort it - you could try this experiment to see if it helps.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it).
Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speeds below 4mbps > turn device wifi off/on > speeds above 100mbps > repeat all day

Before you go through the time-consuming pain of a factory reset and restoring all your settings again, does your speed improve in the mornings and get worse in the evenings? Then it could be the congestion effect we have been banging on about in Virgin's core network. See other threads....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a_q. I don't notice any difference depending on time of day. The speed always returns to expected/good levels after I disconnect/reconnect my machine from wifi. Perhaps the question I should be asking is what process takes place during this initial connection and why is this not sustained?

I'm trying John's advice (thanks John) and will report back.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, John. This method for resetting the Hub (rather than the recommended method I've used previously, restarting after reset, etc) and possibly adjusting the coaxial cables seems to have worked. Consistent speeds since. 

I'm delaying the celebration until I've monitored over a longer period, but this is a great result! 

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 19.28.57.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Alas, this gremlin has returned. The same cycling of wifi off/on needed. 

Can anyone offer advice about what's happening when a machine first connects to the Hub 3.0 and why this might temporarily solve the issue? And why that speed might be lost so frequently? Perhaps faulty hardware? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you have the same problem with ethernet cable connected devices ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. I've been checking over the last hour with an ethernet connection and the speeds seem consistently good.

At a push, I can fit a long cable to my office, but a wifi fix would be good. Do you think this points to an issue with the Hub 3.0? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I doubt it is a problem with the Hub 3.

VM Hubs are renowned for their poor Wi-Fi and at the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

………………………………………………………………………..

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you split the WiFi networks so they don't have the same name? Otherwise devices can randomly roam between them, it may be that you start on the 5Ghz network but then after a while the device switches to the slower 2.4Ghz network. 

0 Kudos