Menu
Thistimemaybe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Speeds avering less than 70 since 12 August

Hi. I am monitored by a testing site which reports each month on my speeds and other data. I note from the graph I received today that my average daily speed since 12 August has been less than 70Mbps. This is not what I'm paying for and clearly something is wrong. I emailed Virgin about a similar problem in the previous month and I haven't had a reply yet.Until 12 August, the speed was bouncing around 111Mbps.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speeds avering less than 70 since 12 August

You have said how you were testing speeds and what package you are on, but can you do it this way.

If you on a 200Mbps package or higher expecting those speeds then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”. Test at speedtest.net (not the App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers too. Worth doing it this way even if you are only expecting ~110Mbps

If they are still low – boot your device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown software, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Thistimemaybe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speeds averaging less than 70 since 12 August

Thanks for your advice. I tried the test site & got a speed of 112.2Mbps, which is what I would expect. I will now contact the company that is performing my regular tests to check if there is a possibility of an error with their router.There never has been a problem before and considering that they give this information to Ofcom, I would hope that they are not having problems! Meanwhile, I'll test again on this link regularly.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are on the 100Mbps package then VM are delivering full speeds to you and either your equipment is limiting it or they are testing at a site or in a way that is not giving the optimal connection.

In either case you are receiving what you are paying for. Were yiu experiencing any issues that caused you to investigate?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Thistimemaybe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi John. I appreciate your involvement. Yes, I'm on the 100Mbps package. I've been on the SamKnows monitoring system for at least ten years and never had any significant times that anything has been highlighted as faulty, but the graph for last month showed a serious drop in speed from 12 August. I've now written to them, as, if it's not Virgin, it must be a fault with their measurements or their router, based in my system. I'll hopefully get to the bottom of this soon.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - there was one thread I kept a record of where SamKnows was identified as causing their speed issue.

Link is below - see message number 7 and check if there is anything in it that applies to your circumstances.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Vivid-350-speed/td-p/3941298

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the post Thistimemaybe.

We can see the Hub may not have been rebooted in over 100 days if you could please run through a pin hole reset by pressing a pin in the hole on the back of the Hub for 60 seconds. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Thistimemaybe
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily.

I avoided rebooting the hub as it would reset my password, which would be a pain for having to re-link all the things that go through it, including Google speakers, sockets and doorbell.

It's now looking more like the fault is with the SamKnows router, but I'm waiting for them to get back to me before I do anything else.

Cheers,

Brian.

0 Kudos
Thistimemaybe
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm now waiting for SamKnows to get back to me, John. Thanks. Brian

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are using the Hub 3 you can save your settings, pinhole reset then reload your settings so no other set up is required.

Hub-Backup

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.