cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed

Hanen
Joining in

We test the WiFi and it says download speeds are high (158mbps) but when actually using it, the speed is about 4KBps! We should have over 200mbps download speeds. We have the hub 3.

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.  All tests should be done with a direct wired connection.

However, if you are testing at 150 that's what you should be getting?  How are you testing and then how are you downloading ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

We would test on an Internet speed test on our phone. I also tested on the virgin app which said connection was great.

My partners xbox is connected with a wire to the hub and that was getting low speeds.

We assumed it was our area as sometimes it does get high? It's strange though to have hit high numbers on the speed test but then not have that correlated in use which is confusing me!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As you were told yesterday, speed tests must be done with a wired device and not on a phone. You need to use a PC or laptop. Xbox measurements are not the same. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As previous reply, you need to test speeds with a laptop or PC, directly connected to the Hub with a Cat 6a cable.  The device must be capable of a 1Gb connection.

What does a speed test at www.samknows.com/realspeed show ?

Also you could try a full factory reset on the Hub as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks