cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed

Juventino
Up to speed

I have the 600Mb service however we rarely get that speed, I have done speed checks and initially we did get high speeds often in excess of 400 but recently I have never seen it above 200Mb sometimes it is down in the 20 and 30MB range which is annoying, upload speeds hover around 30 and I've seen as high as 40. All the speed checks have been done either hardwired into a laptop or using wi-fi on both bands on both Android, iOS and laptops. To be honest most of the time I don't have any issues, we get the odd buffering moments when on BBC iPlayer or Netflix and Prime but it is not that often. But I don't see the point in a 600 service if it is never reached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Often a pinhole reset can kick it into life and settle it down - its worth trying first and seeing if it helps - but do it this way....

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it first - then report back and we can look at why speeds are still low. Might depend on what devices you are using on wifi (how close to Hub, on 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?) and which on ethernet (what cables Cat5e/6??)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Often a pinhole reset can kick it into life and settle it down - its worth trying first and seeing if it helps - but do it this way....

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it first - then report back and we can look at why speeds are still low. Might depend on what devices you are using on wifi (how close to Hub, on 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?) and which on ethernet (what cables Cat5e/6??)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.