Menu
Kevnsan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Speed

Hi

Allegedly have 600mbps however never really had more than 80mbps since instal. Have boosters installed but still no improvement, called customer services a number of times but told engineers working in my Area to fix problem but they would get  team leader to phone my back obviously didn't. Is the customer service normally real poor ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

And..... Is your device capable of getting speeds over ~100Mbps?

What is it (they)? And are you connecting on wifi or ethernet cables? If wifi - is that on the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?

Of you havent- run speed tests on an ethernet connection.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kevnsan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your reply

Question was not really about technical issues but rather about poor customer service, after a number of calls In which one agent told me they were working on box in my street as we spoke pointed out I could see the box and there's no one there, changed story to they were on there way.  Phoned again told problems in my Area which should be fixed soon didn't happen. Spoke to another agent and I told him spoke to one of their engineers who told me cable had been layed incorrectly and all needed doing again,he said he only reads from a script and he would get a manager to ring me within 3 day, that was two weeks ago. Still only getting 60-70 ?bps and Virgin have no interest at all in resolving my issue or at least being up front about problem.

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Kevnsan

Welcome to the forum page, very excited to have you on here. 

Very disappointed to hear of the experience that you've had and we appreciate the frustration that has caused. 

I can appreciate there is some confusion over this and we do apologise. 

I have taken a look over your account and can see that work is currently taking place in your area to improve your services, so this could be causing your issues. 

You do also seem to have some upstream issues which could also be caused by the fault in your area. 

Did our team give any indication as when this should be fixed by or some temporary solutions until it is fixed? 

Thanks, 

Sasha 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kevnsan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sasha

Can't use tags, no one from Virgin can tell me when it will be fixed and it's been going on for months. Seriously considering going back to Sky

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Kevnsan,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I have just had another look at the account and can see your upstream signal levels are still out of specification.

Are you able to try a pinhole reset of your hub for me? This will take the hub back to factory settings but can help improve and stabilise any connection and performance issues.

Keep us posted. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kevnsan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Tried a pin hole reset as suggested but still no improvement 

Can an engineer be sent out as this as been going on for months 

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You mention you have fitted "boosters" and seen no difference in speed, that suggests you are testing over WiFi. You need to connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable and test again.

0 Kudos
Kevnsan
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for response, I'm testing with Ethernet cable and speeds are around 60 mbps, over WiFi it can be less than 2. It's so slow that sometimes I can't watch things recorded in the other room as it can't connect.

Considering I'm supposed to be getting 600 mbps with improved Wi-Fi the whole experience is one of constant disappointment  

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The issues with watching recorded content on another STB is internal rather than a broadband problem. Have you checked the cabling.

0 Kudos