Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Speed

We have M100 fibre broadband contract but I am barely getting above 2Mbps. 2 recent speed tests using the virgin media checker and ookla show 1.2Mbps and 1.85Mbps. I am only a few metres away from the router and if I go upstairs to the office I receive no signal at all. I cannot reliably use Microsoft Teams and websites takes a long time to load. 

It is really impacting my ability to work and welcome some advice otehrwise i will have to move providers to get a more reliable speed. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed

Firstly - what Hub model do you have (on its base sticker). Then what devices are you using to test speeds.

It could be just a wifi issue rather than a VM connection issue so you need to do some trouble shooting so we can figure out which.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, are you able to test speeds directly like this?

Connect a computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (ookla) - but not using their App on their website - to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos