Menu
mariacatherine
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speed

Hi,  I’m having big issues with speed in certain areas of the house. I have a download speed of 111 Mbps in the room with the hub but drops right down to 2.89 in other rooms. This is with a booster aswell located halfway between hub and those rooms without much signal.

6886F2BC-23C9-40C6-B6E5-7F8FE6EB1CB9.jpeg

0 Kudos
john_haggart
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed

Hi mariacatherine

Sounds like the booster may be at fault here! Are the booster supplied by virgin media?

If so have they been cloned to the hub ie when you're looking for a wifi to join are you just seeing 1 which is your hub or does the booster have a different SSID and password to join.

What happens when if you plug the booster in the same room as he hub are you still experiencing slow speeds?

Regards

John 

I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
mariacatherine
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

We are using a NETGEAR booster, however I have turned off the booster and connected to the main WiFi and we are experiencing the same speeds. The booster appears as a seperate option on my WiFi settings with -EXT on the end however it makes no difference. My son has also just tested the speeds on his PlayStation and the upload speed was around 600KBPS. The download speed remained between 2-4 mbps also. 

0 Kudos
Toj_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Sounds like the boosters are the issue. Are the boosters directly plugged into the wall socket or on an extension plug? Boosters alway work best plugged directly into the wall socket. Plugged into an extension will give you slow speeds.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Tommyoh91
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Sounds like you could have an issue with the boosters also try a pin hole reset on the back of the hub for 30 seconds. Also the device could be hanging on to the boosters and vice versa with the hub which could cause the slow speeds disconnect boosters after reset try a speed test before connecting boosters again.
Also ensure all connector are tight. You should also download the virgin media connect app which is a great tool to use when it comes to broadband.

I am a virgin media technician, if you find my post helpful please mark as helpful and leave some kudos please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Davy81
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I would highly recommend the official Virgin media Powerlines they will for sure solve your problem.

We also have an app you can download called the connect app this can be used to optimise you Wi-Fi signal it completely free of charge and can be downloaded via your smart phone on the app store.

The ps4 speed test isn't very accurate  but to get you a short term fix i would recommend connecting your existing booster to your ps4 via ethernet if possible to see if that improves the situation.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Ameer_H
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I would suggest pin resetting the hub 3. Are the boosters in a pack of 2 or is it one single booster? if it is a single booster then that seems like a wifi extender.   

0 Kudos
mariacatherine
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

After following from your advice, I have also manually done a pin reset on our hub and reconnected the extender however as shown by the attached screenshot, the download speed is still 2.2mbps and I am struggling to get on with work at home. Our booster is plugged into a main plug and the speeds are exactly the same without the extender. I have been on your website and it says that our speed should be 108mbps and therefore current speeds are unacceptable.

01BC6465-7473-4044-8A04-787FE22AB31A.png

0 Kudos
mariacatherine
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

After following from your advice, I have also manually done a pin reset on our hub and reconnected the extender however as shown by the attached screenshot, the download speed is still 2.2mbps and I am struggling to get on with work at home. Our booster is plugged into a main plug and the speeds are exactly the same without the extender. I have been on your website and it says that our speed should be 108mbps and therefore current speeds are unacceptable.

0 Kudos
mariacatherine
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

After following from your advice, I have also manually done a pin reset on our hub and reconnected the extender however as shown by the attached screenshot, the download speed is still 2.2mbps and I am struggling to complete work online. the speeds are exactly the same without the extender. I have been on your website and it says that our speed should be 108mbps and therefore current speeds are unacceptable.

0 Kudos