cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed upgraded from 100 - 200, 4 days ago, how long till it takes effect

jackson_arw
Tuning in

Hi,

As per the subject - the speed has been upgraded on my account on the 8th November but wired tests still show 100mb. I can see that the Max Traffic Rate on the Modems settings has been changed to reflect 200mb but the speed is not there.

Router has been rebooted once or twice a day since the change

How long should it be before I seen the change please ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the MTR has been set to 200 Mbps (normally set around 230000000 bit per second), then VM have done their thing.  If you're still only seeing 100 Mbps, and in particular values around 85-95 Mbps, then chances are that either the ethernet cable is being treated as a 10/100 Mbps capable cable, or the device only has a 10/100 network card (or a faster card has somehow acquired 10/100 adaptor settings).

Check what the computer says about the adaptor card and settings, if they're supposed to be correct, then try a different network cable.  Even if the one you have should be OK, it is the hub and your network adaptor that negotiate the speed the connection can run at, if they have decided they've got some grudge against that cable you'll need to get a different one.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

If the config setting on the hub has changed then the speed upgrade has already gone through. The most likely reason you aren't seeing it would be that whatever device you are measuring the speed with doesn't have a fast enough ethernet port or the ethernet cable can't support that speed.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the MTR has been set to 200 Mbps (normally set around 230000000 bit per second), then VM have done their thing.  If you're still only seeing 100 Mbps, and in particular values around 85-95 Mbps, then chances are that either the ethernet cable is being treated as a 10/100 Mbps capable cable, or the device only has a 10/100 network card (or a faster card has somehow acquired 10/100 adaptor settings).

Check what the computer says about the adaptor card and settings, if they're supposed to be correct, then try a different network cable.  Even if the one you have should be OK, it is the hub and your network adaptor that negotiate the speed the connection can run at, if they have decided they've got some grudge against that cable you'll need to get a different one.

Thanks for the replies - I'm using cat 5a, which is Gigabit rated, a Gigabit switch, and have tried a few machines all with Gigabit capable NICs. The NICs are set to Auto Negotiation so are running at Gigabit ... I'll swap some cables around and see if thats causing the problems 😕

Been using Ookla and fast.com for testing, also have a RPi monitoring the connection fulltime with a Grafana dash ... odd

You guys are awesome - a shonky cable had crept into the mix 😕

Thank you for pointing out the bleeding obvious and covering for my stupidity - its been a long week !