cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed throttled to less than 10% of usual speed over past 2 days

andyeddleston
Tuning in

My broadband download speed has dropped from 500-550Mbps to 35-45Mbps over the past two days. The speed test looks like the speed is being throttled at a low rate. Any known issues causing this?

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Check for any “known network faults”

Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

How are you testing speeds? On Wifi or ethernet cable comnnections? If wifi - try on ethernet.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. Connection for speed test is via Ethernet and has always been reliable. Download speed is throttled consistently to 45Mbps down and 10Mbps up on the 500Mbps plan which usually gives around 550Mbps. This speed drop has been consistently the same for the past 3 days. I’ve checked using all methods and no service difficulty has been reported.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you humour me and run the speed tests exactly like this to see if something on your connection is limiting speeds on devices (QoS?)

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. And See message 9 in this thread and… 3 in the second

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. I have it connected to an Orbi router and nothing has changed. The speed test is done via the Orbi router connected via Ethernet. It strikes me as odd that the upload is suddenly 10Mbps consistently and download always 45Mbps consistently. I regularly test the speed and it’s always been good. Nothing has changed. I doubt if I’ll invest in a new Ethernet cable and do all of the steps you’ve mentioned due to time etc. I’ll let you know if and when the speed returns to normal!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Speeds to the Hub might be normal - but your Orbi is throttling it - but you wont know that unless you test it

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks John that seems highly unlikely but it’s been 4 days now at constantly the same up and down speed so will test and report back.

I’ve now tested as per your instructions using a new Ethernet cable, modem mode with no other connections and I get exactly the same result as the Orbi router speed test; 45 down and 10 up. Can someone at virgin do something about it?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi John,

Nothing has changed my end but speed has now returned back to normal. Was any cause found?

Thanks,

Andy

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes... it was just the network pixies playing up 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------