cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test in modem mode?

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Is it possible to run a hub speed test on a Hub5 when it is modem mode? 
Using the Ookla SpeedTest app shows that I have a pretty reliable ~250Mbps on WiFi & ~350 to 400Mbps on a Cat5 wired connection.  The WIFi system is a TP-Link Deco S7 3-node mesh setup. 
My Hub5 service is the 1Gbps service. The channels used show frequencies in the 1GHz region, so it looks like a 1Gbps connection has been established. Problem is the max (Cat5) & WiFi speed I see is 400Mbps. Plenty fast enough but why don’t I get anything near the 1Gbps I’m paying for? 

43 REPLIES 43

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Tried that, no improvement 

that's essentially perfect

Ijlane
On our wavelength

I've just replaced my Cat5e cables with Cat8 to eliminate cabling as an issue. Guess what, no change...

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s exactly what I would expect, Cat5e should be fine. I sorry to say that Cat8 for home use is just a waste of money.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ijlane
On our wavelength

I agree re Cat8 at home, but price difference between Cat8 & Cat6 was only a few quid. Just wanted to definitively rule out any cabling issues. 
My next step is to discuss issue with VM tech team, although they haven’t shown much tech knowledge in previous discussions, esp re DHCP issues on Hub5.

Hi there @Ijlane 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

I've checked our system for you and can see the speeds to the Hub are within the expected range for the broadband tier you are subscribed to.

Just to confirm, are you seeing any issue with this when you try using the Hub in router mode?

Let us know, we'll be happy to help further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Hi Nathan,

thanks for checking my hub5. The problem is that I have a 1Gbps service but the best Ethernet or WiFi speed I am seeing is ~350Mbps & this is rare. Speed on both is ~150 to 200Mbps for the majority of the time. This is with the hub in modem mode & Ethernet connected to my TP-Link Deco S7 mesh wifi system. I’m just trying the Hub5 in router mode with both WiFi speeds disabled. This is very slightly better but given the hub connection speed is ~1.23Gbps, I don’t understand why I’m not seeing higher speeds. The Hub was replaced very recently & is worse than the previous hub (which had a DHCP fault, just like the previous 3 hubs!). With the previous hub I was regularly seeing ~850Mbps, so why the huge difference between hubs regardless of operating mode? Just don’t understand why I’m not getting the speed I am paying for….

cheers, John

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

disable EEE or and green ethernet on your NIC test in modem mode with your PC without a router

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Tried disabling green ethernet but no improvement unfortunately

Hi Ijlane,

Can you disconnect all third party equipment, run a speed test in router mode, hard wired to the hub and post the results?

Alex_Rm