cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test in modem mode?

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Is it possible to run a hub speed test on a Hub5 when it is modem mode? 
Using the Ookla SpeedTest app shows that I have a pretty reliable ~250Mbps on WiFi & ~350 to 400Mbps on a Cat5 wired connection.  The WIFi system is a TP-Link Deco S7 3-node mesh setup. 
My Hub5 service is the 1Gbps service. The channels used show frequencies in the 1GHz region, so it looks like a 1Gbps connection has been established. Problem is the max (Cat5) & WiFi speed I see is 400Mbps. Plenty fast enough but why don’t I get anything near the 1Gbps I’m paying for? 

43 REPLIES 43

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to temporally set the Hub to Router mode and test on Samknows.   www.samknows.com/realspeed and run the full tests.  This Samknows client is inbuilt to all recent VM Hub's firmware, and only works in Router mode.

If you are using Windows, run a speedtest in "Safe Mode with Networking Support" to rule out any 3rd party sofware slowing down the PC.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Thanks Adduxi, I’ve done this already & see just over 1Gbps as expected. What I would like to do is test the actual Hub5 speed in modem mode. I really don’t understand why I get reduced speeds as it should be the same.  I’m beginning to suspect that VM limit the throughput in modem mode  to encourage customers to use router mode…. 🤪

@Ijlane wrote:

Thanks Adduxi, I’ve done this already & see just over 1Gbps as expected. What I would like to do is test the actual Hub5 speed in modem mode. I really don’t understand why I get reduced speeds as it should be the same.  I’m beginning to suspect that VM limit the throughput in modem mode  to encourage customers to use router mode…. 🤪

They definitely do not as I use modem mode myself.

Unplug everything from the HUB, turn it off, then plug in a PC or laptop via ethernet.

Power on the HUB and the device should get an IP address and internet access.

Note only one device can be connected at any one time in modem mode.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @carl_pearce  has said, VM do not throttle modem mode, and I can vouch for this as well.  If they did, this Forum would be awash with complaints from modem mode users, of which there are many !

Have you disabled QoS on the Mesh units?  QoS can slow speeds down quite a bit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Definitely no throttling. My UDM Pro router has an in built Speedtest, done with 8 target servers, and I nearly always get the full speed of my plan. Using a Hub 5 with port 4 into an RJ45 to SPF+ adapter on my UDM Pro.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Carl, I disconnected my mesh system & switch, connected just my 1Gbps capable PC to the 2.5Gbps port & rebooted the Hub5. Unfortunately, no change. Best speed I achieved was ~400Mbps. I’ll try contacting VM tech support because it’s looking like another defective Hub5…

Ijlane
On our wavelength

Thanks again Adduxi, I disabled QoS on all devices but sadly no change. Best speed I’ve seen over the last few days is ~400Mbps on both WiFi & Cat5e connections. Just connecting my 1Gbps capable PC to the Hub5 2.5Gbps port via a new Cat5e cable & rebooting gave me a best figure of ~400Mbps, so at least it’s consistent! I’ll contact the VM techies as I’m beginning to think it’s yet another faulty Hub5…

@Ijlane wrote:

Thanks again Adduxi, I disabled QoS on all devices but sadly no change. Best speed I’ve seen over the last few days is ~400Mbps on both WiFi & Cat5e connections. Just connecting my 1Gbps capable PC to the Hub5 2.5Gbps port via a new Cat5e cable & rebooting gave me a best figure of ~400Mbps, so at least it’s consistent! I’ll contact the VM techies as I’m beginning to think it’s yet another faulty Hub5…

I'd still suggest trying safe mode with networking as suggested earlier to be sure it's not a device issue:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-networking/

Forgot to say that my PC was in safe mode with networking. I also tried PCIe, Motherboard & USB LAN interfaces. Sadly, same result with all three. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Get new CAT 6 cable test PC to hub in modem mode

1aTTack.de 2m Cat6 Ethernet Cable Lan Patch Cat 6 Cables Internet Rj45 Plug 1Gbit/s SFTP PIMF for sw...

---------------------------------------------------------------