cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed should be 350mbps getting 29mbps

SJJ678
On our wavelength

I have had a lot of problems with the speed of my broadband. I never get anything like the 350mbps that I pay for, I usually get less than half. I contacted the community forum before a few weeks ago and went through various tests. The speed was slightly improved but still nothing like it should be. 

My speed for the past week has been about 29mbps download. This is on a wired PC, it is the same result if I run the speed test on safe mode. I have tried with services and start ups stopped which made no difference. I have used thinkbroadband and speedtest.net and tested at various times throughout the day, they both show the same consistent poor speed every time. Is something wrong somewhere? and why has my speed dropped so drastically?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you testing whilst in modem mode - this ensures that no other device can be connected to your network and having any effect?

Post up the Hub connection data/stats as well.

Also worth checking for known faults - just in case. As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you testing whilst in modem mode - this ensures that no other device can be connected to your network and having any effect?

Post up the Hub connection data/stats as well.

Also worth checking for known faults - just in case. As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

SJJ678
On our wavelength

Thank you for your reply John.

I have just done both thinkbroadband and speedtest.net speed tests. Both tests have come back at a decent speed, so I am going to monitor them over the next week or so and see how it goes. I am hoping it was just some local problem.

Thanks for coming back to the Forums @SJJ678

Do please come back to us if you experience any further issues with the services after the monitoring period

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

SJJ678
On our wavelength

I have monitored speeds over the past week or so, I only had a few days of decent speed and then it went down again to less than half of what I pay for. I can't watch Apple tv anymore and have problems with a Roku and Netflix connections.(TV is hard wired)

I have had the same speed problems before and they never seem to be resolved. I seem to get a good speed back for a few days and then it sinks drastically. I wouldn't mind if I was paying for that speed, but I'm not, I'm paying for the 350mbps and I should be able to do pretty much anything but can't.

The chart below is from Thinkbroadband.com.

Sun 14/11/2021 12:25

151.16 Mbps

137.32 Mbps

16.81 Mbps

Sat 13/11/2021 11:17

149.93 Mbps

137.34 Mbps

14.74 Mbps

Fri 12/11/2021 15:50

151.79 Mbps

128.08 Mbps

17.27 Mbps

Thu 11/11/2021 20:26

141.04 Mbps

123.23 Mbps

17.01 Mbps

Thu 11/11/2021 13:46

152.63 Mbps

129.69 Mbps

16.25 Mbps

Wed 10/11/2021 15:41

106.31 Mbps

99.47 Mbps

32.58 Mbps

Tue 09/11/2021 10:40

340.40 Mbps

277.95 Mbps

13.98 Mbps

Sun 07/11/2021 12:45

336.82 Mbps

287.23 Mbps

23.87 Mbps

Sat 06/11/2021 16:34

31.58 Mbps

29.88 Mbps

10.84 Mbps

Sat 06/11/2021 15:32

30.22 Mbps

29.80 Mbps

10.63 Mbps

Fri 05/11/2021 15:40

30.07 Mbps

29.32 Mbps

10.71 Mbps

Fri 05/11/2021 14:21

58.05 Mbps

56.73 Mbps

35.44 Mbps

Hi SJJ678, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear the speeds you're getting are not the best. 

Taking a look at things this end, I can see the Hub is in Modem Mode. Do you currently have a third party router connected? If so, can you remove this and connect the Hub directly to the PC/Laptop? Make sure you reboot the hub for the connection to be made and re-run the check. This will allow us to check the Hub is receiving the correct speed. 

All your power levels are optimal and there are no faults affecting you so all should be good. 

Pop back and let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SJJ678
On our wavelength

Hi Kath,

After I have signed in to the hub, I tick the box to enable the modem to take it out of modem mode. I press the change button and then either get timed out or remote device or resource won't accept the connection. I've tried loads of times with the same result. The cables are connected properly.

Since then the hub is showing only a white light. I have reset it, turned it off, unplugged it for ages but it makes no difference. The modem feels warm to touch as if it is working ok. I have signed in to the modem again but just get your message saying I am not connected to the internet even though I am. You then try to connect me which ends with 'sorry we haven't been able to fix your problem'.

When I sign back into the hub, modem mode shows in the left column but enable router mode is ticked. I have gone back into modem mode (your instructions show when I came out of modem mode that the modem had actually gone to router mode although it did not show this, no green light just white)  the hub now shows a red light.

I am leaving it with my router on and the hub in modem mode as I was concerned that I was not protected, especially as you didn't seem to think I had a connection. Do you have any suggestions and what does the white light mean?

Hi SJJ678,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, the Hub you have the white light is exactly what should be showing and means you have a connection, I can also confirm your Router is in Modem mode.

Regards

Paul.