Menu
Scopes
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed reduced by 60%

As said in the title, for the last few weeks my speed has dropped by 60%, I'm paying for 360mbs and am actually getting 80-90mbs.

All my devices are wired, I monitor the hub status page regularly because of issues in the past and the only change in any of the stats is the Modulation on the upstream channels will bounce from 64qam to 16qam which was part of the issue last time I posted here, however now no matter what the Modulation is I'm only getting 90mbs at best.

I've done a reboot, a factory reset, remote test, isolated the connection to test directly, waited to see if it's an already identified issue being fixed. How come my connection has got a massive drop in speed?

Anything most users think of I've tried, there is something malfunctioning, breaking, or miss-configured in VM's network between my home and the rest of the network.

While I'm thinking of it, fix the main sites support pages, it's always assuming it's a wifi issue no matter what options you pick or do.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speed reduced by 60%

A drop to <100 on ethernet often means there is a problem with the ethernet cable. Try replacing it with a new Cat6 one.

Also check the NIC drivers are up to date and in the settings that the connection hasn't been dropped to 100mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Scopes
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well time for me to admit fault and feel like an idiot. About a month ago while messing around with configurations I misread 100baseT as 1000baseT.

Download issue fixed. There is still the issue of the Modulation fluctuating which has caused issues with conectivity in the past, although it's been rare the last month and a bit. It happened again which caused me to make this post.

Since it's been rare recently I'm willing to wait and see if it was a one off. If not I'll post again later in the week.

Thanks for pointing out my slip-up Jbrennand.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No probs. HTH 🙂

This is worth doing if you havent already to start collecting connection data.

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Scopes
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yep already got one of those running set it up a few years ago, also got a pfsense router monitoring the connection from the inside so there is raw data of any issues rather than just a graph which in my opinion doesn't give enough information.
The only device on the wifi is my phone and honestly I don't care if that loses connection.

0 Kudos