cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed question

parahvars
Joining in

Hi

I noticed recently that download speeds had dropped to around 1/3 of where they should be - only thing that had happened was another company had been digging in the street near the cabinet.

Did all the usual troubleshooting to no avail. I saw that downstream power levels were higher than the threshold so called a tech out.

He replaced the hub4 with a hub5 and has connected x2 attenuators (3dB and 6dB) to bring it within range. This doesn't feel right to me however I am not a tech. He also said the street cabinet was fine.

He showed me that he was getting speeds via wifi at approx 960Mbps (where it should be) so I didn't question it.

A speedtest via samknows still says the router has a connection speed of 1Gbps approx, but when I connect to it with my laptop via ethernet I still only get 400Mbps approx.

The interface on the laptop can manage 900Mbps and has done previously.

Am I missing something? It's probably something really simple but I don't understand why I can't get full speed from the hub5 via ethernet, when my device and the hub are capable of it?

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Boot the laptop into safe+networking mode and try again on an ethernet cable.

Some software on the lappy may be attenuating speeds.  Is QoS active on it ?  Or if a Dell... SmartByte?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

Test your connection with the link below...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speeds at the Hub should reflect your subscription.
The speed any WiFi device draws data will vary.