It seems my email filters out reply notifications as spam, my bad!
I have tested my equipment using both wired (cat5e and cat6 cables), and wireless (5ghz) including testing whilst only the test computer is connected. I have tested using both Speedtest.net and google speed test to reduce any doubt regarding the issues coming from somewhere else.
The fastest recorded speed I have achieved on thinkbroadband is 122mbps. I am also running a BQM that suggests there may be an issue, as I have a huge amount of dropped packets, but it looks so extreme I am wondering if there is a possibility it is a fault with the way its recorded.
I will post the breakdown from the router status in the next post.