Menu
jaykay1991
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed not as advertised

Was upgraded to M100 in February. Download speed has never topped 29 mb/s and often is as slow as 3mb/s during peak times.

This is for devices both in the living room next to hub and is even worse upstairs. Have split 2.4/5 GHz and using Netgear signal booster upstairs

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed not as advertised

what speeds do you get wired
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Speed is guaranteed with a wired connection to the hub, wireless can vary depending on lots of factors. See for help with troubleshooting wireless connection - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/WiFi-Wins/ba-p/3958523

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jaykay1991
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Currently around 9mb/s wired 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Back to first principles. Check your own kit first like this.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable connected computer/laptop with the Hub in modem mode.

So if you are expecting >100mbps, make sure that your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or you will never get over ~100mbps) and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos