Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Speed issues

Hi

i pay for the fibre350, but I’m lucky if I get 50mbps lately. 

for the first 12 months of my contract all was great. Now I’m on a monthly contract it’s gone down hill. 

im sat on the phone in a cue waiting for someone to pick up ( been 23mims now) not the fastest. 

I have not changed the location of the router or anything, checked all the cables and they all are fine. 

after resetting the router I get full speed for about five mins then goes back down to the 40/50 range  

any help would be great,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed issues

You don't say if you're connecting over wifi or ethernet - if wifi, that could be the source of the problem, but so could the VM cable connection.  Some people prefer to check out wifi first, I prefer to check the cable side of things because hard data is available. 

Connect to your hub, log in, go to Advanced settings>Tools>Network status, and then post the contents of the upstream, downstream and network tabs.  That'll enable somebody to take a look at the connection and see if there's any evidence that shows a network fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It’s all sorted for now. 

I was having issues with WiFi and cable. 

the guy on the phone did something to the router on his end, and was ok after. 

not holding my breath that the speed stays how it is now. 

anymore problems I think I will just change provider. 

thanks for the speedy reply it’s much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Great that it is sorted.

Whilst it is possible that this will stay fixed, if you were having problems with both wifi and ethernet then it is almost certainly a problem with the local cable connection, and if that's the case it can't be fixed remotely.  Chances are that all they've done is a remote restart of the router. 

By all means change ISP if the problems recur, although pick wisely, and look at sites like Trustpilot and ISPReview to make sure that your new ISP isn't equally poor, as there's very little difference between the standard of service from large ISPs. You'll probably find that if you phone to cancel, Virgin Media's UK based retentions staff will do their utmost to get any problem fixed, and may also offer a discount if price is part of your reason for leaving, so at least give thought to how you'd respond if they offered you £7 off per month for 18 months and to call out a field technician to sort things out. 

But before you get to that, and with a little effort on your part, most problems with VM cable can be identified and usually fixed through a mix of other users of this forum, VM forum staff and they in turn can call on the field technicians.  Far better than phoning 150 to deal with the understaffed and villainously crap offshore technical support.

Fingers crossed it stays fixed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos