Menu
granth
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Speed issues in BR1 since 22 May

I've been getting less than half the 100MB I pay for since 22 May. Previously, I had been told it would be fixed by 4th June. Now there's a message when you call support that says there's an ongoing problem but gives a) no indication of when it will be resolved b) no indication of the nature of the issues.

When I then try to get back to speak to someone, I have to go through the rigmarole of "Let us run some tests".

Questions:

1. How do I speak to a human being (preferably in the UK) about this so that I can find out the answers to the questions that any rational human being would want answers to? I should not have to jump through hoops to find out this information and I do not want to risk my equipment being reset when I know there is a wider fault.

2. Will I get a refund for this downtime?

A general comment: The support service provided by VM has to be by design. Nobody could be this monolithically incompetent by accident. They don't want you to know what is going on and make it as difficult as possible to find out.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed issues in BR1 since 22 May

Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

It allows you to start the compensation time on there too - although to qualify for automatic compensation it has to be total loss of service for>2 days (see below).

VM are notoriously bad at providing any details and giving any firm fix dates - they are all "estimated". It really depends on what the nature of the issue is. Worst case scenario - is overutilisation - can take months or longer to sort. SNR ones are tricky too as they can be difficult to pin down. A VM person ought to respond here in a day or two and can perhaps give more information - certainly better than calling in will get you.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
granth
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I called the 0800 and I get the same "We're sorry you are experiencing issues with .... broadband.. in the .... BR1 area, this is a complicated issue blah blah"

Oddly if I go to the main menu and hit 1) to check for issues in my area it says "It doesn't look like there are any issues in your area".

So pretty useless tbh. It's been 3 weeks now.

I didn't hear any option to ask about compensation.

0 Kudos
MattDarlow
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't even bother just wait until 30 days since your first complaint and see about getting your contract ended.

You're just going to get yourself stuck in a cycle of coming back here everytime it's the day they said it would be fixed and then you'll get a new date that it will be fixed.

Been a customer with them for years with no issues and now I'm left unable to work from home because they can't fix their service. 

"Overutilisation" 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lets see if there may be an overutilisation issue.

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi granth, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your connection. 

I have taken a look at your account and can see there is an open fault affecting you currently. The details of the fault are as follows: 

• Fault reference number: F009085219
  • Estimated fix time: 18 JUN 2021 14:15
  • We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. Once the fault has been closed, your account will automatically be reviewed to see if you are due a credit for the loss of service. If so, this will be applied automatically for you. 

If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
granth
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath, 

Thanks for responding, but I've been told that this would be fixed on 4th June and I spoke to someone in India and screencapped a conversation where I was assured that it would be fixed that day

granth_0-1624007791864.png

Can you tell me what the nature of the issue is please and why it has taken so long to fix? The description below is (deliberately I assume) vague.

Can you also please tell me why it is so difficult to get through to support? In addition to running checks, the phone system now seems to have added another hoop, which is to send a text message with a (useless) web link. So instead of getting better, it has actually got worse. As I said above, this system has been deliberately designed to fob off customers. It is impossible to design something this frustrating through incompetence.

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi granth, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

From what I can see the issue is to do with the SNR levels on the cable. It is causing your signal and power levels to fluctuate which in turn is causing the issues with your connection. Any fix time is only an estimate so can be extended on occasions. There isn't any further information I can give you on that I'm afraid. 

In terms of the IVR, I will certainly feed this back to the teams so they are aware of your thoughts. 

Apologies there's not much more I can advise on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
granth
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath. I finally managed to get through to second line who told me the same as you. Much more helpful than first line and the "technical" team.

I just don't understand how VM management can't see that the support structure that they've put in place actively negatively impacts customers impression of the company and service. If I could easily get through to someone like you or the second line team, I would have been happy. But instead, I've had to post on a forum, phone the support line 3 times and be on hold for nearly an hour speaking to 3 different people, 2 of whom told me useless high level information.

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I understand your frustration granth and I can only apologise. 

Being honest, most feedback regarding the changes has been positive. The relevant checks are run on the line before going through to an agent so you're not asked to repeat these and you're getting through to the right person first time instead of needing to be transferred. 

As promised though I have passed over your feedback on this 🙂

If there is anything else you need help with, please pop back here and let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos