cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues for the past few weeks!

Lil-Squabbit
Up to speed

Hi there peoples

We have been having some speed issues on the 350gb connection. No matter what time of day we use it, we are never getting much more than 200gb and yes I know that is still faster than most ISP's but if we are paying for the 350gb then surely we should at least, on occasion, get close to it. We used to get closer to 380gb not so long ago, but now the quality of speed just doesn't hit the spot.

We have also been getting, like many others, serious interruptions around midnight for the past few days. What black magic are you up too, VM?

Capture.png

...........................................................................................................
Lil-Squabbit is soooooo NOT amused!!!!
10 REPLIES 10

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If that's WiFi it's pretty good.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Slow internet speeds can be caused by a number of things. Your router could be outdated or it could be too far away from your TV or computer, for example. Those fixes may be as easy as restarting your modem and router or upgrading to a mesh network. But another reason for your slow Wi-Fi could be bandwidth throttling.

@Lyla251 wrote:

Slow internet speeds can be caused by a number of things. Your router could be outdated or it could be too far away from your TV or computer, for example. Those fixes may be as easy as restarting your modem and router or upgrading to a mesh network. But another reason for your slow Wi-Fi could be bandwidth throttling.

Hello Lyla, thank you for your reply.

Just for some context:

• My PC is connected via a Cat 6 Ethernet cable directly to the router.
  • I am using the Virgin Media Hub in Modem mode, as I am using my own router to carry the Wi-Fi signal. The router I use is a Nighthawk R8000
  • As far as I know, VM do not use bandwidth throttling unless they are blatantly lying about this?
  • In regard to restarting the Modem etc. I am quite Tech savvy and have run through the basic (and advanced) methods to try and regain control of my speeds, but to no avail.

Hopefully some VM employee here on the forums will pick up on this post and help me to get to the bottom of this. I am willing to post my logs if required but until then, I am not sure what else could be done. Once again, thank you for trying to help me though.

PLEASE, VM, Can we talk?

...........................................................................................................

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

If that's WiFi it's pretty good.

Unfortunately not Roger, that is my Ethernet for my main PC.

Hi Lil-Squabbit,

Looking at your speed test, are you physically located in Manchester? The reason I ask is that I'm having speed problems as speed test is thinking I'm located in Manchester(via my WAN IP), all though I'm in Wiltshire. 

If I take it out of modem mode, I'm located nearer home. Speed increases, and Ping decreases. 

I've linked my issue here: Incorrect IP address location - effecting ping? - Virgin Media Community - 5041678

Cheers

James. 

Can you post some stats.
For a hub 3: go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
For a hub 4: go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs as text (not images). Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Slow internet speeds can be caused by a number of things. Your router could be outdated or it could be too far away from your TV or computer, for example. Those fixes may be as easy as restarting your modem and router or upgrading to a mesh network. But another reason for your slow Wi-Fi could be bandwidth throttling. My Ascension Login

Thanks again

You already posted this respons earlier and I replied already. 

@Lyla251 wrote:

Slow internet speeds can be caused by a number of things. Your router could be outdated or it could be too far away from your TV or computer, for example. Those fixes may be as easy as restarting your modem and router or upgrading to a mesh network. But another reason for your slow Wi-Fi could be bandwidth throttling. My Ascension Login

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Lil-Squabbit, 

Thanks for your post. 

Looking at those speeds you posted, Although its less than the speed you are subscribed to, There is not much we can actually see for here that could be causing the 70Mbps loss. 

I can see however you have opted to increase the speed with us. 

Can you let us know how things go on that front.

Gareth_L