Menu
evosaxo1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Speed is slower than usual.

It has come to may attention that my M200 internet is not performing as it should be now for quite a few weeks. I have did so many resets that I have lost count. Surely this would mean I would be entitled to money off my bill. Test resu;ts.png

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed is slower than usual.

How are you testing your speed with a wired or wireless device?  VM only guarantee wired speeds.

Are you connected direct to the hub?

If it is a wired connection, speeds below 100Mbps per second as your tests are showing are often the result of a hardware limitation. Some PC's have network cards that are limited to 100Mbs, or have faulty drivers that can limit speed or are not configured correctly, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limited to 100Mbs because of damage to the cable (which is not always visible).

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The sheer consistency of your speed tests imply that it is less likely to be a cable problem.  If you're testing over wireless, then you may be limited by the configuration and capacity of the device, and as SCA1972 suggests, it could be a hardware or firmware limit on a wired network adaptor.  Have you seen higher speeds before?  And if you have, have you tried deleting and reinstalling your network adaptor drivers* - Microsoft shoved out one (or more) botched Windows 10 upgrades that reinstalled default network adaptor drivers, in some cases limiting the speed (I had this).  And somewhere else to look - what is your Max Traffic rate in the Download section of your Hub's configuration?  Whilst rare, sometimes there's fat finger errors that result in the wrong speed being setup.

* Make sure you've got the necessary drivers on disk, or know how to reinstall even the default drivers, because as soon as you uninstall the current drivers, you have no internet connection on that machine, meaning you can't look up advice or supplier's tech forums, nor download anything you hadn't already done. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

evosaxo1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am testing my speed with a wired connection. I previously had speeds of 210mb - 223mb before this problem.

0 Kudos
evosaxo1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have now deleted and reinstalled my network drivers.
Went to go into the hub configuration to retrieve my Max Traffic Rate but will not let me, keeps saying wrong password.
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You don't need to login to get that information. Use the link at the bottom of the page

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@evosaxo1 wrote:
I have now deleted and reinstalled my network drivers.
Went to go into the hub configuration to retrieve my Max Traffic Rate but will not let me, keeps saying wrong password.

There are two passwords on the bottom of the hub one is the wireless password and one is the settings password, are you using the settings one?

@Eeeps If it is a Hub 3 and this is the first time @evosaxo1 has accessed the hub GUI then you do need to login.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
evosaxo1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My Max Traffic rate is 230000061
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Eeeps If it is a Hub 3 and this is the first time @evosaxo1 has accessed the hub GUI then you do need to login

Thanks for that snippet. I didn't know that. I assume if you factory reset the SH this also gets reset?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@evosaxo1 wrote:
My Max Traffic rate is 230000061

OK, so your hub is configured for the M200 tier.  So there is still something limiting your Ethernet to a non gigabit connection.

You haven't answered my other question.  Are you connected direct to the hub?  The reason I ask is that some people connect via third party routers or powerline adapters that can develop faults and limit speeds.

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

Have you checked the Ethernet config on your PC to see if it is showing a gigabit connection?

Have you recently installed any new software that might be limiting your speed?  Some security software has been known to throttle speeds.

0 Kudos