Menu
gazza1988
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed is halved when in modem mode, happened around 2 weeks ago. Been in modem mode since start of year

Hi.

I am on M350. for the past 2 weeks I have been getting results of between 132.47mbps and 190.12 download when in modem mode. Ping has been between 7-9ms and upload has been 36.29-37.19.

I am on a PC which is a wired connection, Bought a TP-link ax50 on 31st Dec and had the virgin hub in modem mode since. This issue was first noticed and tested on 24th Jan. 

I reset my hub and router and I was able to get 342.57mbps (7m ping and 36.57 up). However I noticed that it switched to router mode again (note, my pc is wired to the tp-link router which is wired to the hub) 

I assumed it was fixed so swapped back to modem mode and went from 342mbps above to 158mbps. The ping increased by 1ms to 8ms and my upload speed went up to 37.09mbps

At 5am this morning my speeds were 165 down and 37up with a ping of 8ms. 

I used www.speedtest.net on chrome, firefox and using the desktop app from the microsoft store. All in the same ballpark. 

There has been no changes to anything just we noticed that stuff was taking longer to download than usual that's when it was first noticed and I've been checking speeds often since. Thought I would ask on here if anyone has an idea.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speed is halved when in modem mode, happened around 2 weeks ago. Been in modem mode since start of y

If you have any QOS software running on your router try switching it off.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
gazza1988
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed is halved when in modem mode, happened around 2 weeks ago. Been in modem mode since start of y

Many thanks. 

I'm not sure why it's just started doing it. Had device priority set up. Disabling the 2 devices with priority boosts the speed. Just got 387mbps down and 37mbps up with a ping of 7ms.

Just a quick query, how come with the same settings (ie qos enabled) enabled on router mode gave me good speeds?

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@gazza1988 wrote:

Many thanks. 

I'm not sure why it's just started doing it. Had device priority set up. Disabling the 2 devices with priority boosts the speed. Just got 387mbps down and 37mbps up with a ping of 7ms.

Just a quick query, how come with the same settings (ie qos enabled) enabled on router mode gave me good speeds?

Not sure mate, the QoS probably has less control of the connection when the Virgin Hub is in router mode although that shouldn't be the case, in all honesty I'm not sure....lol. I just know that when running the Hub in modem mode and the router with QoS enabled it restricts the speed coming out the other end. My Asus has the same problem until I turned of QoS and Gaming mode, after disabling both it worked flawlessly 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
gazza1988
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm wondering (no technical background or anything  just a guess) if with device priority enabled it "splits" the bandwidth. So 1 half goes to the priority devices and the other half is for everyone else.

Then with the hub on router mode the tp-link router detects its connected to a router (it'd have a gateway ip of say 192.168.0.15)and either disables qos because the main router could have it enabled or uses the whole connection that its granted from the hub. 

Not that it matters now lol. 

Thanks for the help buddy. 

0 Kudos