Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Speed flautation

Hi

I am new virgin media customer. I got problem with the speed flautation.one minute its 100bps 5 minute later its drop down to 20bps on Wifi.Some time its drop down to 5bps.Engineer came to have a look and he is not able to fix the fault.All he suggested to use the wire connection and I connect the playstation with a wire connection. Its better than wireless connection but the speed flautation is still there. It's not drop down to 5mbps but it's drop to 100 to 32 instantly. Anybody got any advice. I reported the fault after week of installation and it's my 2nd month with virgin media. If virgin media can't fix the fault so can I cancel my contract. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed flautation

You can cancel with 30days notice anytime - but as you are not within 14days or out of contract (1yr) you will have to pay a financial penalty. So worth trying to sort it on here first.

Are you getting disconnects or just speed issues ?

First job....
Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

Also - if its disconnecting - set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John I report the fault first week and virgin media not able to fix the fault. They send a engineer and he is not able to fix it and suggested to try a wire connection. It's better than wireless but same speed issues. Its not disconnecting but only got speed issues. Speed is not constant if I reconnect device it got maximum speed after 5 minutes it's drop down to 20bps.And some times it drop down to 5bps. But it go up as well. 

All connections were checked by engineer and he made channels but made no difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I suspect the forum staff are about to leap on your problem, but if not, then you can leave without penalty if VM don't provide a minimum speed of half of the contracted value.  As jbrennand says, you MUST test speed on a device connected to the hub by a network cable, and to leave without penalty you should keep a copy of speed tests (eg screenshots of Ookla speed tests).  It doesn't matter if 95% of the time VM provide you with your full contracted speed, the guarantee is for a MINIMUM speed, and therefore at ANY time.

Realistically, if you phone up to cancel, VM have one month to sort it out, and they probably will rather than lose a customer.  It is just a pity that customers have to go to such lengths to get technical issues sorted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shami,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the speed fluctuations. I've ran a background check and there are no issues showing.

Relating the speeds, can you do a wired non-console speedtest at http://speedtest.net for me with only that device connected to the internet? This'll give us an indication of the actual speeds you're receiving and we can go from there. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John 

I have just done a speed test on a wire connection and its 39bps. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20191209-203927_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20191209-203926_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20191209-203923_WhatsApp.jpg

Hi John

I have tried to send a video clip of speed test but I think it's not supported here.thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, what device are you using there Shami?

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John 

Its Dell laptop. If its slow all the time than I can blame the device but I also have over 100bps on the same device. Same on playstation and it's a Cat7 lan wire. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cheers @shami

I've located your account via your forum details and can see it's been almost a week since you have rebooted - can you try a reboot for us and have a monitor on how things go for us? 

There are currently no signal issues showing from this end and everything is actually showing within the parameters we would expect; please give the reboot a go and we'll have another check. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos