Menu
Rico2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed at night always very slow, often single figures.

I have 200Gbs package. Speed is always unbelievably bad at night. Daytime is as it should be. Frequently there is no connection. Any suggestions, apart from going back to Plusnet?!!

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed at night always very slow, often single figures.

It's a never ending story with VM at the minute as the network is dealing with a load like never before with people working from home, home schooling, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Gaming threw into the mix. I think Virgin are hoping after lockdown it will settle down but until then your stuck.

Can you please setup a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com. Just click on Create a new monitor.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here asap.

Under your graph you just created Click (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box and paste it on here

This will show if there if any over utilisation on your line.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Let's see if we can find some causes for this.  My suspicion is downstream over-utilisation.  That's congestion due to too many customers, and whilst it might be driven by lockdown, and thus improve when lockdown is lifted, it can also be simply down to over-selling of contracts in the area around you.  But let's not leap to any conclusions.  If you can do the following, we'll be able to see what is happening.

First up, Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text, not images or screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

Next, Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 12-24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

VM can be very good at getting some problems fixed, certain other problems...well, perhaps not.  Fingers crossed this is fixable.  You may also want to conduct some example speed tests at different times of day, recording both up and down speeds, and save the screenshots, because if you need to invoke VM's minimum speed guarantee they'll be needed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rico2
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am very new to this site and just wanted to say many thanks. I shall try this tonight. I hope this message is in the right place!! Fingers crossed on both counts!!

Rico2

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Look below the BQM chart when you're logged in to ThinkBroadband, you'll see a link "Share Live Graph".  Click on that, a page of links will come up.  Copy all of the first one (take care - it's long) and post that in a reply here.  So long as all of the link is included it doesn't matter if it doesn't work properly when clicked on, that would likely be an address syntax problem we can work round.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos