Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed Throttling?

Hi there, 

I'm not the most technical person in the world when it comes to networks and reuters, but im hoping someone can help.

I recently started streaming to Facebook as a hobby and everything was fine. I managed to meet the requirements (which have now been taken off of me) to become a level up creator. You basically have to have so many followers and stream for so many hours and a days a week. But for the past 2 weeks, everytime I go to stream my internet speed drops from around 113mbps to around 8mbps and the upload drops from around 8mps to less than 1mbs. I cannot fathom what is causing it. Its caused me to lose my status on Facebook streaming because I dont have the speed to even connect to facebook. 

Ive uninstalled the app you use for streaming (streamlabs obs) and reinstalled it thinking it was maybe that but its not made a difference. I haven't changed any settings or done anything differently since i started streaming around 4 months ago. Can anyone please help. 

These are the last 3 tests ive done, 2 before trying to stream and one during

Mon 26/10/2020 18:44   8.55 Mbps 4.30 Mbps 0.05 Mbps Virgin Media 

Mon 26/10/2020 18:37  111.13 Mbps 109.45 Mbps 0.16 Mbps Virgin Media 

Mon 26/10/2020 18:27  111.47 Mbps 106.36 Mbps 9.88 Mbps Virgin Media

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Throttling?

Speed Throttling doesn't happen.

What is your contracted speed?

Which Hub do you have ?

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

I am contracted for M100 package. When I am streaming I turn use an ethernet connection. I also have the Hub 3. I get 113mbs on that website. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What is the upload speed ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you streaming when you do your speed test by any chance ?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK so I made the broadband monitor and the strangest thing happened. Its started to work! I was able to stream for 2 hours uninterrupted. I will keep the monitor running for a couple of days just to see if things revert back to their old ways. And ill come back then and post all the information from it and the reuter. 

Thanks for the help. I will be back in a day or two with all the information. 

0 Kudos