Menu
Dazzyt66
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speed Issues

Hi,

I hope someone reads this at Virgin and takes note:

I've had virgin for 2 weeks now. In that time I've had to reset the router 4 times. Despite that, my connection has dropped several times and my speed varies between 10mb and 218mb (I should be averaging 300).

I moved from Sky for faster speeds for work, but am now ready to go back to them because I'd rather have reliable slower connection that haphazard fast. 

I'm currently sitting on the phone looking to cancel my contract...

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ready to cancel

Cancellation Options:
1. dialling 0345 454 1111 optiones 1-1-4-4 best time to call currently is 8am.

2. or in writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
eduardorodrigue
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I understand your concern, I have tried for weeks to contact costumer service, that is impossible, they have no e.mail address contact, ther chatbox, is totally useless, they increased my bill by £16.00 without my consent, and I tried to speak to somebody about this issue, again, impossible, as soon as I can contact them, it will be to part company, it is without doubt the worse company that I have been involved with, if you look at the costumer service ratings, it's 88% negative, avoid them at all cost!!!

Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media have had core network issues from about 4th January from my graphs (from multiple ping services, including from my own connection to the local VM hub) that they're not acknowleging publically, its affecting friends of mine in Scotland, in Wales, in London, in Berkshire where I am, and in Southampton. I'm on the Gig1 service and I get the speed I pay for mostly, but the latency is absolutely awful from 8:30am to around 9pm then its usually ok till 8:30am. I'm able to show and prove this as I say from multiple ping testers, and also have video footage of how this affects gaming whilst playing with other VM users based elsewhere in the UK having the same issues at the exact same time....

VM have serious problems on their core network they're not owning up to and just staying silent on. Its sad that this is the way with them more and more over the years, and sad because the staff who run the forum are very helpful and useful but I also know how limited the amount of information they have access to is.

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The core is fine, its local hub sites and nodes that are congested, and unfortunately due to the nature of DOCSIS services they are restricted on bandwidth and not designed for the current circumstances where everyone is working and schooling online.

Can you share the information that proves core issues?

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Other than 3 people in other places in the country having the exact lag spike at the same time as me in online games? One based in Scotland, one in Wales, one in Southampton, and myself in Berkshire? Thats not down to local hub sites is it?
I can provide you with multiple ping stats to show that the problem started on the 4th of January and is between the times stated, or provide video evidence of the rubber banding occuring to me and the others at the exact same moment who're on VM, and the other 2 players we're with on xDSL based ISPs in the same game not having the same issue - to rule out it being the game server being laggy.
Bandwidth is not the issue, I can and have fired up several different downloads from game servers and got near enough 900mbit - during times my ping to the local hub is fluctuating wildly, and often in games I'll have the lowest ping, its just some weird late delivery of packet as I'm not getting actual packet loss.

The frustrating thing is VM's lack of transparency of the issue and saying yes we're having issues but we're working on it, I could go check my service status right now and it'll say everything is fine no issues whatsoever, but my online experience says something very different.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but your not understanding the terminology used because your not clue into how the technology works and how its connects.

Please see image below:

Virgin HFC - FTTN LayoutVirgin HFC - FTTN Layout.

Your suggesting the issues are on regional head ends, they are not or it would affect large numbers of people,its generally congestion on upstream  at fibre node cabinets that causes the most issues and those issues are common but not to large numbers of customers at one time.

Hub sites in more major congestion issues but less likely due to balancing of capacity and connections that can be done.

As for comparing xDSL and Virgin please ready here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/M200-usually-OK-Southampton-University-area-21/m-p/459604...

Cable broadband is its best setting is not recommended for gaming and will always lose test to xDSL/PON

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I do understand the infrastructure, much better than you might imagine bud.
However you have your power trip, with your image and just ignore the thinkbroadband posts, the forums on other sites, all the posts on here that have sprung up since around the start of January complaining about latency issues, and my own experience of multiple people in multiple places around the country all experiencing the same lag spike at the same moment in the same game...the common factor being that we all use VM as our ISP and those in our party not using VM not having those lag spikes...thats what my imagination?

I was never comparing my ping to those of xDSL based connections I'm well aware that a good xDSL connection will get a lower ping than those on cable, where have I stated otherwise? I was pointing out that of the 6 people I was with in a party 4 of us had the same lag at the same moment no matter where the server was located, southern ireland (cork I believe), london, paris, amsterdam, across hours of gameplay and not once when it was mentioned by 1 of the 4 people on VM did one of the 2 other people in the party on BT and Sky have the same issue.

I can see from our own BQMs that you're getting somewhat the same issue..... and you're arguing I'm wrong?!
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 wrote:
I can see from our own BQMs that you're getting somewhat the same issue..... and you're arguing I'm wrong?!

Which BQM are you referring to?

I'm not having any issues that you speak of, and checking the 'core' network seems to be running fine.

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So must also be my imagination that thinkbroadband did an article a couple of days ago talking about issues with the VM network that they're seeing? I guess all the people commenting on that story must also live in the same street or something....

You're burying your head in the sand mate, VM have core network issues, and you can't be doing anything that relies on realtime latency because otherwise you'd have the same issues.

Look at your Hub4 and CGNV4 BQMs, that isn't normal service.
0 Kudos