Menu
paul0363
Rising star
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Speed Issues - Speedtest.net vs others

I don't know if this could explain some of the issues in other posts where people are seeing speeds of 70-80Mbps instead of their advertised speed.

On testing with Speedtest.net (whose servers I believe sit inside VM's nework) I get my full speed.  However, my SamKnows monitor and ThinkBroadband both report speeds around the 70Mbps mark (on a 500Mbps connection). These test servers are located outside VM's network.  This could indicate an issue somewhere at the edge of VM's network or beyond (or just congestion?). All results are with a wired connection (SamKnows has a dedicated monitor WhiteBox permanently wired to my network).  The SamKnows analytics show that this drop has only happened over the last few days - previously this monitor was also reporting 450-520 Mbps consistently.

Speedtest.net result and SamKnows below ThinkBroadband here

Speedtest.PNGSam.png

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Issues - Speedtest.net vs others

What happens if you pick a different server on speedtest.net?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You might also want to check the log files to see if you have had any kind of firmware update recently. A few users have experienced significant problems following a firmware update
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

What happens if you pick a different server on speedtest.net?

Beat me too it.

@paul0363  If this theory is correct then any local non VM server on Speedtest.net should also return the slow speeds.  Personally my results are faster on a non VM server:

speedtest.jpg

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

paul0363
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest.net seems to be fairly consistent regardless of server.  There haven't been any firmware updates since the update to 9.1.1811.401 a few months back.

I'm just suggesting that there *may* be issues somewhere at the VM network edge or beyond.  My connection seems fine in normal use - just these inconsistecies in results which are new.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No one has experienced “significant issues following a firmware update” 🙄

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos