Menu
ellis20684
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed Issue on M350

Suddenly getting slow download speeds on M350, connected to the pc with the EC. Have done all of the usual remedies and none of them have worked, so I called virgin a few days ago,who asked what browser I was using, I'm using chrome and have never had a speed issue.

I was asked to run a test using IE and got above 350, he just blamed chrome and offered no other help, I might be wrong but I'm sure virgin don't suggest that you will only get the advertised speeds using IE.

I have tried to call virgin but they are closed, just looking for suggestions.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Issue on M350

Can you carry out a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Ensure that the Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers are up to date.

Then post the links to the results on here.

Try this with your usual browser and also one that you have recently downloaded, Comodo Dragon is a racing snake version of Chrome and is a good example to try.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ellis20684 wrote:

Suddenly getting slow download speeds on M350, connected to the pc with the EC. Have done all of the usual remedies and none of them have worked, so I called virgin a few days ago,who asked what browser I was using, I'm using chrome and have never had a speed issue.

I was asked to run a test using IE and got above 350, he just blamed chrome and offered no other help, I might be wrong but I'm sure virgin don't suggest that you will only get the advertised speeds using IE.

There is anecdotal evidence on the forum that some browsers work better with the Speedtest.net site than others for some people.  Personally I get over 350Mbps with Chrome, so the issue is not universally a Chrome one.

VM are not responsible for your devices or your software so if the line is delivering full speed via at least one browser then the line is working and you need to investigate the cause of the slow down on your side.  Have you installed any new extensions in Chrome recently?

Have you tried different speed test sites to see if they work better with Chrome?

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ellis20684
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have run different speed tests using other sites and I'm getting the close to 350 and above, so even though speedtest.net is showing a speed in the 130's does that not actually mean that is my actual speed if other speed test sites are returning higher speeds, I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting money by paying for M350 if I cant actually get even close to that.

0 Kudos
ellis20684
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have also just run a test with VM and they are detecting an intermittent issue, although there was a network upgrade last week, as I have called today and they are closed.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ellis20684 wrote:

Hi

I have run different speed tests using other sites and I'm getting the close to 350 and above, so even though speedtest.net is showing a speed in the 130's does that not actually mean that is my actual speed if other speed test sites are returning higher speeds, I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting money by paying for M350 if I cant actually get even close to that.

Why would you assume that the one single slow result is the true speed of your line?  Logic suggests that the one slow test is not the true speed of your line as if it was then the other test would not be able to return faster speeds. Also the Speedtest.net results can vary if the server you are testing from has issues.  I normally use the VM Manchester server but often get faster results from the Vodafone Manchester server.  Have you tried picking different local servers on Speedtest.net to see if that makes a difference?

If there is an intermittent fault then that might explain differing speed tests.

Speed tests won't necessarily reflect the performance you get with normal usage as they use multiple threads to saturate the bandwidth and most applications will not use multiple threads.  Web browsing, gaming and even streaming 4k video do not need M350 to perform normally.

Are you regularly downloading large files with a download manager that can use multiple threads to make use of all your bandwidth?

Are you regularly streaming to lots of devices simultaneously (10+)?  Netflix say that only 25Mbps is required for UHD/4k streaming.

Do you want the higher upload speed that comes with the M350 tier?

If the answer to all of the questions above is no then maybe M350 is not worth it for you.

Personally I do like the faster upload speed I get with M350 and I can take full advantage of the download speed on a single device with the right software.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Ellis20684.

We can see some power level errors so we've booked an engineer appointment using the forum information.

You can view the details of this appointment and reschedule if needed on your online account.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos