cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Confusion

Arthur-Hucksake
On our wavelength

Hi everyone, I wonder if somebody could help me. I had posted previously but cannot for the life of me find it. 

I've been on the 1 Gig package for a couple of weeks now and having some strange speed test results.

How reliable is Samknows Real Speed test? Does my upload on the Speedtest.net result seem a tad low?

Im running a Hub 5 in router mode via a Belkin 2.5gb USB-C adapter. 

vmspeed2.JPG

vmspeed2.JPG

11 REPLIES 11

carl_pearce
Community elder

Client62
Legend

Run the Samknows Realspeed test again.

This time click on the Run full test option,what does that show for Upstream bandwidth at the Hub & at the Device ?

Just ran this test.... seems ok now. No idea whats going on.fulltest.JPG

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Arthur-Hucksake 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear your speed concerns. 

Do you get the same issue speed issues when removing the USB-C adapter?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Not sure what to make of this, but here are the results without the USB C adapter.

withoutadapter1.JPGwithoutadapter2.JPG

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Carley_S wrote:

Do you get the same issue speed issues when removing the USB-C adapter?

Like really! the whole point of the adapter is to go faster the 1Gb NIC at 940Mb! to make use in 2.5Gb faster speed what next some one adds a 10Gb PCI-e card speed test shows I'm getting over 1000Mb no must be the card!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Incantations
On our wavelength

@Arthur-Hucksake wrote:

Hi everyone, I wonder if somebody could help me. I had posted previously but cannot for the life of me find it. 

I've been on the 1 Gig package for a couple of weeks now and having some strange speed test results.

How reliable is Samknows Real Speed test? Does my upload on the Speedtest.net result seem a tad low?

Im running a Hub 5 in router mode via a Belkin 2.5gb USB-C adapter. 

vmspeed2.JPG

vmspeed2.JPG

Now coming back to your original question, ie ‘how reliable is the SamKnows speed tests’? Well honestly nobody knows! The underlaying methodology behind the SamKnows test is fine, the issue is how well has this been implemented on the VM hubs? How can it be checked, what other speed test can be done to compare it?

Unfortunately, the answer to these questions is not really encouraging. There is no alternative method to verify or check the results, you, sort of have to take it on trust! There are many, many posts on here where people have offered up their SamKnows results claiming that the speed to the Hub was, say 1150 Mb/s but the reported speed to the device was a fraction of that. The knee- jerk response from some forum members has been along the lines of ‘well you are getting full speed to the hub so the problem is obviously with your own equipment….’. Except how can you know this, how can we verify or check the SamKnows results? How do we know that the way it has been implemented in the VM hubs is valid? Simply taking it at face value, without any sort of checks or confirmation, isn’t scientifically valid and can’t be relied on - it’s more akin to religious dogma than anything else!

These are some great speeds, and we use Sam Knows as it is very reliable. 

With speeds like this you shouldn't have any issues suffering the internet or downloading anything. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Arthur-Hucksake
On our wavelength

Getting this result tonight from Samknows.... no idea what is going on. Just ordered a CAT 8 cable to test. 132.JPG