Menu
WreckZ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speed Capped?

Ok, so I'm not sure when it started but my download speed seems to be capped. Possibly since the outages earlier in the week where large numbers lost their internet service three or four times during the evening.

I'm paying for the 512Mbps service, and it's not supposed to drop below 200Mbps.

This is all I get at the moment on a wired connection:-

Virgin - 02-05-2020 - 02.png

I have run the 'Test' a number of times and I keep getting this result:-

Virgin - 02-05-2020 - 01.png

I understand that these are unprecedented times, and loads on the Internet are close to peak Holiday loads for much of the time, but the lack of a proactive communication system with customers is quite frankly astonishing from a communications company. One wonders if they grasp the meaning of the word.

One cannot contact the call centres, because the Company decided to base them off-shore. In a country that is locked down and workers cannot leave home.

So it is something of an oxymoron to not be able to communicate with a communications company.

I will be monitoring my connection speeds daily, and if the situation persists I will be expecting a refund or significant discount on my broadband connection.

Right then, so now to contact Offcom and register a complaint.

JR
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Capped?

is that a test via wifi - if so what do you get wired - will leave that but i think it is wired

so try a reboot and then a reset

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
WreckZ
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin - 02-05-2020 - 03.png

JR
0 Kudos
TheChairman
Up to speed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you post the router stats as requested.

Also on speedtest.net do single and mulit thread test.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Right then, so now to contact Offcom and register a complaint.

So are you asking for help here or just venting?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
WreckZ
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

FireShot Capture 007 - Hub 3.0 - 192.168.100.1.png

JR
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

levels are good - have you done a reboot and if that does not help a reset - also run a speedtest in modem mode 

Tony
0 Kudos
WreckZ
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hmmmm, not entirely happy.

I think it is sorted to a degree, but I've got it running in Router mode now, and speed is back to normal.

I was having big issues switching from Modem to Router mode, and back. My preferred mode is modem mode as I have a Cisco router I'm using to control network traffic and QoS.

Going to try switching back later when fewer users on the network.

JR
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So router mode is fine?

And modem mode with your Cisco router has issues?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
WreckZ
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes Router mode is fine.

I tried to switch back to Modem mode but there was some sort of issue and it took multiple power cycles and resets to get the Superhub to come back up.

As I posted, I'm going to try to switch back to modem mode later because the RV180 has features that the SuperHub doesn't when it comes to routing.

Yes I'm aware that it may be the Cisco RV180 that has the issue, but until I switch back to Modem mode it is difficult to test.

However, when I tried to run the test off the VirginMedia website it recorded issues, and so I believe the Hub may have developed an issue in modem mode.

JR
0 Kudos