Menu
Semd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sony smart TV very slow internet

Hi there,

We have a Sony smart TV connected to our Virgin WiFi. The hub is c. 20m away (with nothing in between - it’s a clear, straight line). We cannot watch Netflix/Prime etc as the apps don’t function at all, or work for a short while, before buffering at 25% (and never coming back on). We seem to be able to watch on our laptops in the same room with no trouble. The TV has up to date software and we have rebooted the hub to no avail. 
Would very much appreciate some useful suggestions!

Thank you 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sony smart TV very slow internet

What Hub model is it and on what band is it connecting to (2.4 or 5 GHz) - if its a Hub3 separate the bands out and connect it on the 5GHz one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Semd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your help and speedy comment - this was so helfpul.

We do have a Hub 3 and I have now separated out the two SSID's (I renamed the 5GHz SSID to be xxxxxx+5GHz). I left the 2.4GHz SSID as it was.

The only trouble is: I can't find the new SSID when I search for it (on my laptop, TV or iPhone).

Am I doing something wrong??

Thank you so much again!

Happy Christmas,

Susan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Go in and check to see that "disable" 5GHz wifi band box hasn't been ticked, If it has - untick it
and try again. If not then have the changes actually happened in the SSID boxes? In any case try renaming them both again this time to be xxxx_2 and xxxx_5 with the same passwords. Dont forget to save settings before exiting that page and rebooting the Hub.

See if that sorts it - you will need to connect all your wifi devices to the new SSID's and passwords.

If you still cant see them as individual SSID's - look in again to see if the new names have been retained in the SSID boxes.

If not try doing a pinhole reset as below - and repeting the process.  If all looks good and they have changed and if the devices that can connect on 5GHz cant see it (iPhones can at least - restart that first) then the Hub must have a fault on the 5GHz band that you will need to call in for them to take a look.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Semd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John! It was disabled. I'm going to try and switch the TV to that SSID now!

Thanks for your ongoing help!

Susan

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Most TV's only support 2.4G

If needed you can get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Semd
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Just to let you know, our smart TV is now working SO much better. It still freezes sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as it was - thank you!

Susan

0 Kudos
Semd
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alessandro - all fixed!
0 Kudos