cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds since package change

Suica
On our wavelength

Hi all,

A while ago I upgraded from a 500mb package to a Gig1 package. At some point I ran speedtests and realised that actually, my speeds were lower than what I was getting on the 500mb package. I'm unsure where the issue starts, here's a speedtest result from thinkbroadband:

image.png

When I was on my 500mb plan, I was getting exactly that to my PC. Nothing has changed other than my package. Considering ordering a new ethernet cable just to be sure, but honestly I can't think of any reason for this. Any advice for me folks?

Currently using a Hub4, with a cat7 cable

22 REPLIES 22

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Run a wired speed test from www.samknows.com/realspeed, post the result.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

Btw, Cat 7 is a waste, Cat 6 is fine.  If the Cat 7 has a metal shield this can cause problems, as the VM Hubs do not have the equivalent metal shield to earth the connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Suica
On our wavelength

Called the number and no broadband issues in my area.

Thanks to an earlier thread I had to make, I still have my BQM running! So here's the snapshot.

graph.png

How would I get the power levels, pre and postRS errors from the Hub for you? Had a look through the Hub4 page and can't work out which parts in there you'd need.

image.png

Realspeed is interesting. So the router IS getting the speed it's meant to, but for some reason now my connection between router and PC is halfed. Not sure what's going on there...

And thanks for the tip on the ethernet cable. Honestly if I remember right I just got it because it was on discount on Amazon, but I know some cables tend to be lower quality leading to degradation and such. Trying to find a high quality ethernet cable that's around 10m long seems to be a tough harder than I expected given details on if it's pure copper tend to be missing.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Poser levels etc. should be listed on "tabs" with Downstream, Upstream and Network Log.  Just copy and paste everything into multiple posts, as the Board software will remove the MAC addresses for you.

Yes, there are some awful cables out there. Try to avoid CCA, as it's really aluminium cored and not solid copper.  Good cables are heavy ....  😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Suica
On our wavelength

Can't edit my post so just making another because I'm curious.

Decided to try out the speed test on my mobile phone. Put the phone right next to the router and that gets 508Mbps from the routers 1138Mbps. Pixel 7 Pro should be able to go well above that but I'm not gonna sweat that information but maybe it'll be handy.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 4 is only Wifi 5 AC protocol, so around 500Mb is not too bad.  If you need WIfi 6, you'll need to ask for a Hub 5, but join the queue, as there are a lot of people looking for them at the moment.

Suica
On our wavelength

Ah crikey, okay. As silly as it sounds, how do I join the queue? Do I just call up or do I wait for a reply from a staff member here?

Suica
On our wavelength

Forgot to ask also, what would you say for increasing the speed between router to pc? Just changing over ethernet cable to something that seems to be better and see how far that gets me?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

LOL, there is no queue as such!  I just meant if you read the threads here, there are many people asking for Hub 5's. They are in demand, especially for 1Gb users.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It could be the PC is not up to spec for 1Gb?  If it's a windows PC, try testing in "Safe Mode with Networking Support"  Also check the CPU and Disk activity when testing, as it may be stressing the PC more than you think.