Menu
n4n1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Slow wi-fi on Xbox One

I just had my broadband installed today, everything works fine on every device apart from my Xbox One. On my phone downstairs I get 150mbps - 180mbps while on Xbox I now get 6mbps (it used to be 20mbps but now sometimes it's as low as 2mbps). Does anyone know a potential fix?

So far I have done a factory reset, but no joy. I have never had such problems with BT.

I also called Virgin Media support, they said they can't guarantee any sort of wi-fi speed. What? Then they transferred me to the Gadgets department who offered to "optimise" my xbox xbox fully, whatever that means, for £5 a month. What is going on?

This is disgusting customer service as they didn't even try to fix the issue.

Please help! Thank you.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wi-fi on Xbox One

If your getting 180 on your smartphone then virgin are giving you what your paying for.  It's not disgusting service as virgin are there to provide you broadband to your hub, not to provide support for 3rd party devices

Is your xbox far away from the hub?

What method of test are you doing for speedtests?

Was bt router in same location as your virgin hub? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It’s true they don’t guarantee WiFi speeds - check your contract and terms of use.

And the fix? Run a wired connection instead. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
n4n1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I understand that, the lack of care was just shocking. And I'm sorry, but "we'll optimise your Xbox" sounds like a scam. And why is it a monthly service just to keep the wifi at acceptable levels? They were so confident, it kind of sounded like they knew exactly what was wrong but wouldn't tell me unless I paid.

The xbox is the same distance it was to the BT router and the Virgin hub is about a meter away from the old BT hub so I don't think that's the issue.

I was getting 50mbps with BT to every single device including the Xbox. Clearly there is some issue with the network, maybe a port or a setting or something.

For speed test I use Ookla, fast.com and for xbox I use their own test from the settings (and also those two mentioned there from a browser on the console).

I understand Virgin might not provide support for 3rd party services but they didn't even try to figure out if it could be something wrong with their service.

0 Kudos
n4n1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I will try that next.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

For anything like that the CS reps scripts say... "its the user's problem so Refer to Gadget Rescue".

But you are right not to use it - you will get better help here.

My lad is an avid internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan. He was running long ethernet cables up to his room but now has a pair of powerline adapters so that his PC/Xbox/PS3 can be "wired" with short Cat6 cables to the router and hasn't complained in years. Worth considering whether that will work for your house - you can also run the wifi boosters alongside. They wont give full speeds but he gets ~80mbps on our 200 service. They need to be on the same electrical circuits or go through the same consumer unit though.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
n4n1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, I don't think I'm gonna bother, I shouldn't have to buy cables considering the lounge is too far away from the hub for a cable and it will probably be very expensive. Even if it's not, this is something that should work out of the box.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the hub is too far away to the xbox for a really fast connection.  Its a common problem that's why there are so many options on amazon etc to fix 

0 Kudos
n4n1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I'll take the xbox upstair and put it next to the Virgin hub, see if it makes a difference. I don't see how it's not a problem for my phone when it's right next to the xbox and it wasn't a problem for the BT hub either.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Your Xbox One may be connecting on the 2.4Ghz network.

You can check this by logging into your router, and navigating to the 'Connected Devices' tab:

I've split my 2.4 and 5Ghz networks into two SSIDs so I know for a fact which band my devices are connecting to, to ensure best speed possible.