cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upstream since 200 to 350 VOLT upgrade

pjayuk
Dialled in

Since my upgrade from 200 to 350 as part of the VOLT benefits my upstream speed has intermittently dropped from 36 mbps to around 5 mbps with QAM dropping to 16 on three or four channels. Downstream is rock solid. Prior to the ‘upgrade’ both upstream and downstream were rock solid.

Upstream went off a cliff at about 0940 this morning:

Hub 3.0.png

My Broadband Ping - Virgin 1 Gig
140 REPLIES 140

Hi, any update from the networking team?

Hi pjayuk,

I'm afraid that there is still no update from the networks team, however we can see that the outage is no longer present in your area, but you do have very high upstream channels. We will need to arrange an engineer visit for you.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can arrange this with you.

Beth

Hi Beth,

The techs who came last time referred the matter to networks for a reason: they weren’t able to fix it themselves. Hence, there is no point sending another engineer. The issue needs to be fixed by the networks team.

Hi pjayuk, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

We understand the frustration but the Networks team will look into things. If they notice an issue, they would raise a fault and start the process to get things resolved. As no fault has been raised, it would suggest there isn't one. 

We can book a principle engineer who can help look further into things. 

If you do want us to book this for you then let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, the engineers who came last time confirmed that there was a fault that networks needed to look into. Has anyone actually spoken to networks, rather than just assuming that there isn’t a fault? I know there is a fault of some sort as my upstream doesn’t work properly. I feel like I am being fobbed off and that Virgin have no idea how to fix the problem.

Upstream atrocious this morning, only getting 14 mb/s.

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
14619999749.8512032 qam3
23939988249.8512016 qam4
32580001648.5512016 qam6
43260001449.2512016 qam5

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1ATDMA0010
2ATDMA0010
3ATDMA0050
4ATDMA0050

Hi there @pjayuk, thank you for your patience while this was being investigated.

We have now heard back from the network team who have confirmed this issue is not something that is happening at a network level. We will need to book another tech visit for you due to the ongoing upstream issue so I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Reviving this old thread since one of my friends upgraded from M500 to 1Gig through Volt and is using Hub4 and is getting 100-150Mbps now instead of the 500 he used to get before Volt upgrade. My installation is due on 26th July for the same package, and I am strongly considering cancelling my installation. This thread shows how utterly clueless VM are about their own network and infra, and OP is basically getting bounced around like a town bicycle. Did his issue ever get fixed, or did he just give up?

Yes, they are incompetent, but it did eventually get fixed by one engineer adjusting something in the street cabinet. It was pretty obvious it was a network issue from the start, but why it took seven months and what the engineer did, I have no idea. We now have fttp in the street and they are cabling my building as soon as they get approval from the freeholder, so will have another option when my Virgin contract is up.

Good to know mate. What a terrible way to treat their customers. All the “forum team” people just type nice messages without offering any resolution. I live in an area where VM have installed their infra barely 1-2 years ago. Most customers around me are with BT cable or BT Full Fibre, so I am hoping VM network is not overloaded. However, in my friend’s case the VM infra is probably decade old. I know someone from forum team will be around to ask me to open another thread so that they can start dodging issues, but it just doesn’t make sense when they can’t deliver anything close to the speeds they quote with the hardware they send to customers (Hub 4 for 1Gig).