cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds on GIG1

89537kay3
Dialled in

Hi all!

Normally i'm answering these sorts of posts, but today, it's my turn.

Last few days, if not weeks, i've been getting really slow upload speeds. Was 100Mbps, now 40Mbps at best. Noticed i've been starting to lag / stutter in games too.

Samknows (Ethernet, 2.5GB Port, Cat7 cable): 
3faca7974c057e2bc91578cd655145ec

Speedtest.net:

(Ethernet, 2.5GB Port, Cat7 cable): 

5b36e3c0-2197-4794-a3b5-e750b756b048

iPhone 15 Pro, WiFi 6e, 5Ghz

IMG_0028.PNG

I've tried the usual stuff. eg a reboot.

Router stats:

78fa9d588bcc280122b5c503918f7279

88026338c953ce00b3bc3a05bbf485a4

Anyone got any ideas before i have to phone VM 20 times to get an Engineer out?

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.
28 REPLIES 28

carl_pearce
Community elder

Looks like a local outage looking at the T3 timeouts.

Do a status check here, however select the 'Still having issues?' option, then broadband, then test.

Hopefully comes back with an issue that is automatically reported to VM (Happened to me a few weeks ago).

Done that, got "Looks like there’s an intermittent signal issue in your area"..

Got to wait 24 hours before it will book me a tech.

I do not work for VM. Qualified IT Technician. Virgin Volt Bundle - 1Gig, Hub 5 Modem Mode & ASUS GT-AXE16000, 2x Tivo V6's. VM customer for over 6 years.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 89537kay3,

Thanks for posting, and welcome back to the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been facing issues with your service. I've taken a look on our end and can see that there was a local fault in your area at the time of posting, which was most likely the cause of the issues you experienced.

I can see that the fault has been fixed within the last few days, so you should no longer be seeing these timeout errors or slow speeds. If you are, please try rebooting your Hub, and let us know how things are and we'll be happy to assist further.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

89537kay3
Dialled in

Removed - see next post

Sorry just seen this.

Per my above reply, i'm still getting issues. Upload speed is still 30 - 40 Mbps and my ping and packet loss can be, at times, through the roof. Games like COD really struggle and i'm getting crazy amounts of packet burst / packet loss.

See an updated speed test on ethernet: (Notice the 233ms upload latency)15318369991

Virgin Media status checker still showing issues in my local area so clearly that issue wasn't resolved

89537kay3
Dialled in

See this stupid result:

Supposed to be getting 100Mbps upload. Needs resolving ASAP

Thanks for coming back to the thread @89537kay3, and I'm sorry this has been ongoing.

No issues are apparent in the local area and when running a flow on the hub, our diagnostics have confirmed that there are no issues with our network or the Hub. 

Do you still experience any slow speeds on the upload when running the hub in modem mode and using a Cat 6 or above cable?
Thanks,

David_Bn

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

As per my previous replies, testing was done using a Cat7 cable via the 2.5Gbps ports (unsure why I would use modem mode, I’d need the WiFi etc). Download speed, ping and latency are fine. Upload speed and latency isn’t. This can be replicated via WiFi. 

I’ve managed to resolve the issue myself however using a spare signal booster thing I had spare from a previous VM installation. I’m now getting normal speeds and latency. 

Appreciate the assistance.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To me it looks like noise ingress from DAB radio on 1 upstream channel that cause the problem. Changing the cables around to insert a ‘ signal booster has probably fixed it, but I would keep a check on those upstream channels, some of them are just out of spec.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2