Menu
CharlieTrees
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Slow upload speeds are deliberate

Recently I've changed my offsite backup provider and this has meant uploading a vast amount of data - the last time i did this was when i was BT and their upload speeds are much more reliable. I noticed that during the day the upload speeds of my 200mbps service would drop to around 2mbps and my upload speeds during the evening would max out at around 20mbps.I would find no change in the detailed status page of the modem during the day when compared to the night.

I hope the below can assist a number of users posting about slow upload speeds over the past few weeks. I don think many of these users have any problem with their setup rather I think Virgin Media are not been very transparent on how they're managing their network.

2020-05-18_11-35-05.png

The above chart starts at midnight on Thursday the 14th, you can see there is 20mbps outbound and then as if by magic at 7am the outbound traffic drops to 2mbps, at 11pm/midnight the following day the outbound shoots back up to 20mbps only to fall down to 2mbps until 11pm on Friday evening where the traffic stays at 20mbps with the exceptions of peek times on Saturday evening and Sunday evening.

The chart ends on Monday the 18th at 11am at which time you can see at 6am the speed has dropped once again to 2mbps.

I did contemplate that it could be the upstream server (Amazon S3) so i logged into a colo'ed box off site and did an upload to the same S3 endpoint and achieved speeds well over 400mbps.

I believe that Virgin Media is capping upload speeds during business hours and all evidence supports this belief. Previously i was with BT and did not experience this, in fact the BT upload speeds on VDSL were in my case much faster and far more stable - the downside was of course the download speeds were nowhere near as fast as what you can from time to time get out of your Virgin Media service.

Removed imgur link for mods.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow upload speeds are deliberate

It might have been better to wait for the mods to recover your original post from the clutches of the spam filter, but if they do I hope you don't mind if I get it removed as duplicate posts are against the forum rules.

VM are not deliberately capping any speeds, if they were then I wouldn't be getting full speed right now:

What they are doing is struggling to keep up with demand in some areas, at peak times, which results in slower speeds as the capacity is not available on some segments of the network.  This is very different from a deliberate cap as you are suggesting and is a fault rather than a policy.  I'm not suggesting that it is acceptable and VM need to do more to improve these issues.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CharlieTrees
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure I agree with you 100% on this. It is clear that the Virgin Media network is under increasing demand, this can be seen on my chart on during the weekend peek period, however i find it very hard to believe that all the capacity frees up at midnight like clockwork, I would expect that capacity would start to gradually free up from 9pm onwards however my records show that the capacity frees up suddenly and at roughly the same time each day.

I have had a VM doing speed tests (down) for the past few weeks and I can see a clear pattern where as the evening comes about the speed starts to drop off and then at around 9pm-10pm the speed starts to come back up but nothing at pronounced as the upload capacity shooting back up at 11pm.

To be clear, I agree with you in part however the evidence ive collected suggests that in areas of their network there are other factors at play beyond number of users accessing the network.

Edit: Scott, it would be interesting to see what your speedtest is like connecting to a server that is not within the Virgin Media network such as one hosted by cloudflare. I note that using the speedtest website is all good as well however testing to a server within the virgin media network does not show you the reality of your internet connection given that most the websites and traffic coming to you will be from outside the virgin media network.

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I think you are both right....

@CharlieTrees  . Dear me. You throw around graphs and industry jargon, yet fall into a basic human trap. Confirmation bias.

You have evidence YOUR connection does this, is it a fair assumption that it extends to 4.5 million users? And that its VM's fault?

MAYBE...its you.

You say yourself you are shifting "huge" amounts of upstream data. To my reading what you are experiencing is MOST LIKELY auto enforcement of the AUP, or traffic shaping. Not traffic management.

The simple reason is that as you are aware, DOCSIS is lopsided in both its 3.0 and 3.1 incarnations which are used in VM's network. So if you are continually saturating your upstream, your CMTS says "hey hold on there fella" and cuts bandwidth from your IP when its most needed for others on your segment. For offences under AUP such as copyright strikes youll get communication from VM about the issue. Something simple like this, you wont necessarily.

HOWEVER

If you finish your gargantuan upload (why oh why did you change to a HFC supplier?)  and the issue persists, thats a different kettle of fish altogether. Update us if thats the case, or if you see any further deterioration.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

CharlieTrees
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Confirmation bias!? my studies on my own bias show that i dont suffer from confirmation bias /s

Why oh why indeed? In time gone i lived in a place where Virgin Media was not available and i was as mentioned above on BT, life was sweet if not slow on the downloads. When i moved i couldnt help myself and signed up as i had the need for speed. It was shortly after that i discovered that the Virgin Media network is at times just as slow as BT's VDSL service but for the most part it was faster the biggest pain point as you rightly pointed out is the upload speeds.

I have contemplated signing back up for BT and having two connections and load balancing them, i could also segment the network traffic and send backup traffic over the BT link but i am not sure its worth £25 a month.

The upload will be complete by the end of next weekend (once i adjust for the 2mbps from 6am to 11pm) and then i guess time will tell. Standby for a further update in 2 weeks!

Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hey we all do it, just ask my cracked HUB which felt the Wrath Of Kippies when the V6 died- I naturally concluded the whole of the UK was suffering the same fate, and VM were *insert expletiove of choice HERE* But further analysis suggested it was my own fault LOL.

Personally, the idea of a failover/ loadsharing connection appeals, its pretty easy to pick up decent SME kit with dual WANS - Ive a couple of TPLinks with that capacity that cost me 40 quid on Ebay...

As for the cost, I assume you do something relevant for employment? claim it on expenses? Claim it back on tax return? Usually theres a way 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Well, if he's using it for business perhaps he should have a business contract rather than this domestic one.

He may then be able to lean on Virgin Business for a more consistent upload speed.

0 Kudos
CharlieTrees
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My use at home is entirely personal with the exception of the past few months where i've been WFH exclusively so I think ill just have to stump up the cash from my own back pocket. It has made WebEx meetings fun when presenting with a 2mbps upload! 😣

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Throttled like mad here...

A0E50877-6A19-416D-B3A3-1F871970F7BC.jpeg

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Showoff. 🙂 

0 Kudos