Menu
AltRockFan
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow upload speed

Hi,

I'm on the M200 service for several years and up to recently it has been quite good.   However, for the past few weeks I have been seeing very low upload speeds during the day.   I get 200Mbps download speed pretty consistently but upload speed can be less than 1Mbps during the day.   Since I spend a lot of time working on MS Teams video calls that isn't enough.   In the evening it is usually between 10 and 20Mbps so I don't think that there is anything physically wrong in the house.

I received an email from Virgin on Monday 23rd saying that they had upgraded my network and that the network would be more consistent and reliable.   I thought that I'd give it a few more days to see whether things got better but they haven't.   I'm wondering whether the actual upgrade itself is the problem.

My intra-day BQM results don't look very good either.

My setup is a hub 3 running in Modem mode and an Asus AX92U router.  I'm usually connected by wire rather than wireless.

I'm assuming that this is due to network contention.   Is there anything that can be done about this or do I need to look for another provider?

Regards,

Phil

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow upload speed

@AltRockFan I'm assuming that this is due to network contention.   Is there anything that can be done about this or do I need to look for another provider?

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there if often a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

Of late we've had a further lockdown, and the start of the 2020 game and console release cycle, both of which have driven traffic up hugely.  As the over-utilisation started suddenly in the past week or two, there's a hope that it will fade away when those influences decline, and you may wish to wait and see for a month or two?   It might be resolved or fade away, and it might not.  If not, before you go down new ISP route, check if you're liable for any VM early termination fees because you're in a fixed term contract, and make sure you speak to a competent ISP (AAISP, uno, Aquiss, IDNet, CIX, Zen Internet) to establish your expected speed and whether there's any existing contention (over-utilisation) issues on the Openreach network around you.  Failure to do the first could land you with a big bill, failure to do the second could mean you jump ship and find the situation is no better, but your broadband is slower.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alanhg
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow upload speed

I'm on the M100 service and I have the same experience, off-peak I het the 100/10 speeds without any problem. During daytime hours the download speed on drops slightly but the upload speed is typically 2 which is frustrating if I ma uploading a substantial amount of data to the cloud. I'm sure it is a network contention problem. It would be nice to know that Virgin Media are aware of these service speed reductions and are going to do something to rectify the matter. If they don't then I will take matters further.

0 Kudos