Menu
Kurt3
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds

The cable from path to house is damaged it has not been buried at all I have repaired it best I can as I could not get through this has been the case since June/july 2020 this is of my last batch of tests I am on the M350 broadband package and get nowhere near what I feel I should be getting 

Screenshot_20210213-161118.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds

you repaired the cable? How?

you shouldn't be fixing the cable yourself as you can inject noise into the network and end up with a large bill to fix it.

Also them speeds look like wireless speeds.

What speeds do you get wired to the hub with a gigabit network device

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Kurt3
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello thanks for your reply there is only one device in the house that is hard wired that ranges upto 200mbs but as the results I posted are over WiFi yes but most of the time I'm stood no more than a metre away from hub and regarding the repair I'd tried to ring many times I tried to book an engineer through the app I tried logging a ticket with help through the app I was left for days with no response then a msg to say do you still require assistance I respond yes then another few days do you still require assistance and so on so I had to manipulate cable  then tape it and lodge a rock on cable to stop it moving 

Cheers

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

if you are getting the speed wired then the connection is fine. However VM may argue now that you have to pay for any engineer as you have modified the install against the T&C.

But anyway if the wired is fine then you should look at your own better router

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Althrough you should not  DIY repair cables I certainly would not repairded the method you did with tape.

You would need to cut the damaged cable and fit compress fit F connectors at each end and use a female connector to join both F connectors. I am not suggesting you do this as its against T&C.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
Kurt3
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have a Netgear router but it just annoys me that they can take payments on a service that there kit can't produce and they could always argue that I suppose but not if they want to keep a customer 

0 Kudos
Kurt3
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Fair point but Im the customer not the engineer so really I shouldn't have to be doing anything you don't go to a restaurant for a meal and have to cook it yourself do you 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

you also don't go to McDonald's and expect a £3000 meal cooked by the world's best chefs.

You are paying for a fast wired connection and a entry-level cheap router.

0 Kudos
Kurt3
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh I see so what your saying I should be expected to buy an expensive router on top of the £700 a year bill and virgin is not a premium brand just a very poor fast food gaff

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

yes if you want better hardware then what the hub can give.
VM so not guarantee wireless speeds as stated in the T&C.
If you are getting the speeds on a compatible wired device the services as delivered as per the contract.

What you do internal is up to you

0 Kudos