Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds

Paying for your 500mbps broadband. I'm Lucky if I'm seeing 1.2mbps. Router is in the open with nothing in the way. Console and mobile phone close by. Wireless strength is 100% yet Netflix steams footage that look like it was filmed on a potato. No one at virgin media answers the phone, your website just sends your round in circles with I fo on how to reboot etc (by the way it doesn't work)

Properly fed up. Some one help me sort it out please before I lose my head

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I only have a console or My mobile phone to test. Console wired using cat7 10gbps rj45 high-speed cable and still only getting 1.55mbps. When the virgin was fisrt installed 6/8 weeks ago it never dropped below 90mbps. That's how I know there's an issue. Virgins website literally send you round I circles checking the basics, reset router etc etc. So frustrating 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What speed do you get with your phone on 5GHz, 2 metres away from the Hub and in line of sight of the Hub ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I now have a wired connection. Just used virgins own speed tester on the link provided by virgin themselves. Download 0.8mbps with and upload 0.5mbps. Somethings obviously wrong. My router is in the front room, 5ft from the TV and xbox 1s. Nothing in the way like furniture, fish tanks etc etc. I can't even move the rouser as the engineer has mounted it by the wall fixing for the outside line with only a 3ft cable. I just don't get how we had 90mbps for weeks on end then all of a sudden barely 1mbps.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Stevef2566 wrote:

I now have a wired connection. Just used virgins own speed tester on the link provided by virgin themselves. Download 0.8mbps with and upload 0.5mbps. Somethings obviously wrong. My router is in the front room, 5ft from the TV and xbox 1s. Nothing in the way like furniture, fish tanks etc etc. I can't even move the rouser as the engineer has mounted it by the wall fixing for the outside line with only a 3ft cable. I just don't get how we had 90mbps for weeks on end then all of a sudden barely 1mbps.  

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.100.1 for modem mode . You shouldn't need log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs? Please copy/paste this data as text, split between multiple posts (Sometimes you have to click 'Post' twice due to an error message).

Could you please create a BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor) here, and post the live link?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea what any of that means. I'd like to request an engineer. We've recently had Openreach/BT engineers outside our house in the grids by our front door and side of property installing fibre. Could this have anything to do with our issues. Our problems have only occurred since then. Around 2 weeks ago. They were here for a number of days installing long cables below and above ground. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Stevef2566 wrote:

I have no idea what any of that means. I'd like to request an engineer. We've recently had Openreach/BT engineers outside our house in the grids by our front door and side of property installing fibre. Could this have anything to do with our issues. Our problems have only occurred since then. Around 2 weeks ago. They were here for a number of days installing long cables below and above ground. 

We can't help you unless you help us!

You'll have to contact VM directly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevef2566,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry that you've been experiencing such slow speeds with your connection. 

It looks like you've had a tech visit since posting so I'm hoping this is all now resolved? 

If you do need any further help then please let me know.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos