Menu
MichelKesin
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds, told my issue is with building cabling, what happens?

Hi,

I'm on a 500mbps package, only getting 40 down, 37 up.

I've had 4 engineers and a 5th out of my own pocket to look at the faceplate and signal tap.

They today identified that the cabling in my block of flats is cheap and not sufficient to carry the signal to my apartment, They told me today, "they will call you in the week too discuss".

What does that mean? What am I to expect?

I am 5th floor of a block of flats and the cables are built into the walls.

I'm considering sucking up my anger and just moving to BT. I don't want too. But it looks like I have no choice.

Fyi, my router is stuck in Partial service (ds mode only), it seems to be 1 frequency that is causing these issues.

I don't know what to do anymore. The customer service is none existent.

Thank you. Please advise.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds, told my issue is with building cabling, what happens?

You might get a call back, but if you do then you're so lucky that it's time to buy a single Euromillions lottery ticket.

I'm not sure I believe the "cheap cabling" excuse, given that VM or predecessors would have installed that cable, and one thing you can say about cable companies is they use the right materials, and these have a 30-40 year life expectancy.  Sounds like a noise ingress issue that they don't have the skill or willingness to trace, but if they're claiming it's cheap cable then there's limited chance of persuading them otherwise.  Another forum user has been trying to get a single upstream frequency noise ingress problem fixed for five months, and they're no nearer seeing it fixed.

Even if we go with the idea that its manky cable, what then?  In some situations VM will redo in-building cabling, but unless they stand to lose a load of customers they probably won't bother.  If most other VM customers in the block are happy with (or tolerant of) the service they get, then the several thousand quid cost of recabling will be uneconomic for VM.  Even if VM choose to recable, getting the necessary access permissions, and assembling the team to re-pull and then reconnect all customers is likely to take months.

I'd say wait and see if the forum staff can get this escalated, from that give it two weeks, and if there's no substantive progress start looking at other ISP choices.  If you're in a fixed term contract you may want to invoke VM's minimum speed policy now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

i would ask how you got one out at your own expense - was that a VM tech or a 3rd party to look at the building and report - if the latter then VM are unlikely to take any notice of any findings - if the former then i did not know that was possible and would question them charging you - that sounds all wrong to me

Tony
0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MichelKesin

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have the team contacted you as of yet?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos