Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds suddenly on M350 package

Hello, I've been experiencing slow speeds for the last 2 weeks, I'm getting an average of 160-170mbps, this is on a wired connection. I've tried factory resetting my router and have had no luck. I've also tested with multiple devices and ethernet cables.

Also I use my HUB 3 in modem mode connected to a TP-Link Wi-Fi mesh system. I can see from my TP-Link dashboard that nothing is hogging any bandwidth so I'm unsure as to what can be causing any problems.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds suddenly on M350 package

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned in the OP I'm getting between 160 and 170mbps, I've tried with multiple cat6 cables and I've tried on multiple devices and get the same speed on all of them. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

OK try it this way and report back.

Disconnect the router and then connect a your 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via your known good and working Cat6 ethernet cable, directly to the Hub still in “modem mode”. Test at speedtest.net (not the App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, other connected devices, etc, are limiting speeds on tests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

My device won't connect to internet at all when plugged directly into my HUB 3 in modem mode, and as mentioned above I've tested this on multiple devices and on different platforms the speed is also the same on wireless so this has something to do directly with virgin or my HUB 3

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

In Modem Mode only one ethernet port is 'live'.

Unplug the TP link and plug the PC in.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I done that, restarted, connected. 160mbps...not the 380mbps I was getting 2 weeks ago. Can't contact Virgin at all by the looks of it been on live chat for 17 hours and still no reply. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Try a factory reset using this exact method ...

Factory reset the Hub using this exact method ...

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your speed again.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

So have you done it in safe+networking mode at speedtest.net, yet?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Still no luck 🙄😕

0 Kudos