Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds since yesterday

Hi,

I really need someone who knows what they are doing to help me with my sudden slow broadband. Since yesterday 12pm the download speed reduced from 200mb to 1.5mb on all devices, wifi and wired. Upload is normal.

6 calls to VM has resulted in 4 being cut off when on hold (after 2 hours tonight). 1 call which didnt resolve the problem (hub factory reset). The 2 hour call had me testing a desktop wired with cat6 and a laptop connected with cat5e, both connected to the hub directly and separately for speed test. He even got me to test in safe mode, all with the same predictable results. The last call I have been promised a call back in the next hour from a manager. I do not believe this will happen.

When I run a trace route it shows high latency on all hops apart from the first one to hub. It is clear to me there is something wrong with the VM network and not a problem in my home. 

I have been a customer since Cabletel days and in this time I have seen the customer service degrade considerably. 

I cannot understand how or why a telecommunications company can fail to deal with a customer problem by repeatedly cutting the call off or persisting with illogical avenues of troubleshooting.

Please help.

Stella

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds since yesterday

"I cannot understand how or why a telecommunications company can fail to deal with a customer problem by repeatedly cutting the call off or persisting with illogical avenues of troubleshooting."

Virgin Media's management know that customer service is poor - they can, for example, see that on Trustpilot they got 1.2* out of 5 from 10,400 reviews, compared to 4.6 out of 5 for the technically comparable Hyperoptic business.  The company's market intelligence team will monitor and report this, so VM's management know full well that their offshore telephone customer service is crap.  There are better, more expressive and more accurate words for VM's customer service, but I know the forum moderators won't allow me to use them.

The REASON they persist with such awful service is that they believe (probably correctly) that the cost savings of poor service provided from some third world are greater than the cost of customer losses and reputational damage.  If you or I leave, then Virgin Media's circa £100m a year advertising and marketing spend will be more than capable of signing up some new "mark".  And what proportion of customers ever look at ISPReview, or Trustpilot before selecting an ISP?

However, back to your problem.  If this is only since yesterday, it may be something that will get resolved anyway - I had a day or two's poor performance a few weeks back, but from my perspective it sorted itself out, probably because somebody else phoned in a fault.  So option 1, wait and cross your fingers.

Option 2, wait for the forum staff to take a look and advise.

Option 3: Can you connect to your hub, without logging in click on Check router status, and post here the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, and Network logs tab?  This won't fix anything, but if we can see a clear fault it may be easier to get it fixed.

* You might argue that since reviewers can't aware less than one star, that's more like 0.2 out of 4 for VM and 3.6 out of 4 for Hyperoptic

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds since yesterday

Hi stella1971,

Thanks for your post.

I'm very sorry that you've suddenly noticed a drop in your speeds, and this is affecting your usage.I can appreciate you're keen to get this fixed. 

I've had a look at the backend of your services, and I can see that we'd need to get a technician visit so I'll pop you a private message now.

If you've already managed to get this sorted then there is no need to get back to me.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos