Menu
Shawzy
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds since Feb

Since February my speeds have dropped from a max of 553.16 (Above Max) to as low as 80.67 Mbps (Well below Max). My PC is connected via Ethernet right next to the router, not more than 12 inches away. So why are my speeds now maxing out around 218 Mbps, these speed tests are run through Virgins recommended Speed Test company. 

The following is taken from Virgin Media's own estimated speed page. The 218 Mbps download speed has been the same for months. Are other people having the same problems? I know broadband speed were reduced during the height of Covid-19 but my speeds were like this before.

Expected Speed Range 510 - 545 Mbps

Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed 258 Mbps

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds since Feb

Have you tried another cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also do you have other devices connected - wired or wifi ?

To rule that out - put the Hub into modem mode and connect the PC again and test again - use speedtest.net to your nearest VM server. If its still low - boot it into safe+networking mode and try again just to rule out any software issues.

Also do a quick check that all of your coax connections are still in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends remove & reconnect) , and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Finally you could try a "60 second press" factory reset – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Shawzy
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I forgot to mention the Hub is in modem mode as I am using Nighthawk X6 R8000 router as the supplied one is not the best. All cables are finger tight at the hub. I'll try booting into safe mode and report back. Nighthawk router has just had firmware update, but no increase in speed 217.48
0 Kudos
Shawzy
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I've tried 3 different Cat 6 cables.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I would try removing the router and plugging straight to the hub as well 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Shawzy
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So tried safe+networking mode speed increased slightly to 222.51

According to Nighthawk App there are 15 devices that connect to router at anytime, all but PC at the minute are wifi. Xbox and V6 box are cabled but are turned off
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode there is only ever one device connected - your PC - what does it get then?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Shawzy
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have ethernet cable from Hub 3.0 to Nighthawk router and all other hard wired devices connect via Nighthawk.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Shawzy wrote:
Hi,

I have ethernet cable from Hub 3.0 to Nighthawk router and all other hard wired devices connect via Nighthawk.

Well pull out the cable from the Hub to the Nighthawk and plug it into the pc and run the tests again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos