Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds on h4 1gig

I’ve upgraded to the 1 gig h4 box. Previously I have 350mb with an h3. I’m not seeing close to the download speeds on wired or Wi-Fi. Speaking to VM they suggested using Samknows which is showing over 1000mb but that’s only to the router. I’ve tested a wired connection with nothing else connected using the supplied Cat6 cable and I’m getting well under 500mb. This was the same using a 2012 Mac mini and a 2015 MacBook Pro. Tech support appear to blame this on shared network and unsupported hardware which are both false. Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds on h4 1gig

The Samknows test is indeed only to the router and that is what it is for, to show that the connection from VM to the Hub is working at the correct speed and is not the bottleneck.  So that suggests the bottleneck is on the LAN side, with either the Hub or your hardware.

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable to rule that out?

Have you checked for anything on the Macs that might be throttling speeds?  e.g. QOS settings or firewall/security software.

Have you tired the hub in modem mode to see if it makes any difference?

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Did a quick Google and found this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/slow-macos-gigabit-but-fast-windows-gigabit-huh.2165635/

There seem to be folks in the US struggling to get full speed on Macs on gigabit services, but not on Windows PCs.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The solution for many of the contributors came when they upgraded to Catalina (the latest 10.15.x version of MacOS).

So, Chris, what OS are you on - have you tried Catalina on one of your (or someone else's) devices yet ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That’s interesting. I was using Mojave on both machines. I’ve got a new MacBook Pro running Catalina but I don’t have a Ethernet to usb c dongle! I’ll get one and try it out 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tried a couple of cables. No difference there. I wouldn’t know where to look for QOS settings. Any idea? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good idea - I have one for my Air and it works well. Do get a good one capable of high speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Chrisgrrr wrote:

Tried a couple of cables. No difference there. I wouldn’t know where to look for QOS settings. Any idea? Thanks!

Can't help with that, last time I used a Mac was over 20 years ago.  I posted that before finding the link to that discussion and it does seem possible that it is an issue specific to certain versions of the Mac OS.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Chrisgrrr wrote:

Dont "think" MacOS has any inbuilt QOS functionality - at least I have never come across it in the last 30 years or so! 

Then again - I have never looked 🙂

Some computer makers do though - for example Dell's use of "SmartBytes" has caught a number of Dell users out.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Download-speeds/td-p/3894056

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/slow-speeds-in-area-20/m-p/4044245#M212401

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I was on the M350 Virgin broadband service using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode attached to an Amplifi HD Mesh Router.

Using speedtest.net I was getting speeds on my Windows 10 PC (connected via Wifi) as follows:

As you can see from the screenshot above since my service was upgraded to 1gig and I have been using the new Hub 4.0 my upload speed has increased from ~35Mbps to ~50Mbps, however my download speed doesn't seem to have increased anywhere near the values I was promised.

Virgin Media Speed Promise.png

The engineer told me it would take a maximum of 24 hours before the speed increased to its maximum whilst the service was still "activating".

I have the Hub 4.0 in modem mode connected to my Amplifi HD Mesh Router, the same setup as before with my Hub 3.0.

With the Hub 3.0 to you could use the following IP address to access the Hub's web interface:
Router Mode (default) - 192.168.0.1
Modem Mode            - 192.168.100.1

With the new Hub 4.0 you can use the same IP address in Router Mode to access it but the IP Address for modem mode that worked for the Hub 3.0 no longer works for the Hub 4.0.  As such I have no way of seeing an status directly on the Virgin Media Hub.

Anyone know what IP address I can use to connect to the Hub 4.0 in modem mode?

Also anyone else experienced no increase in download speed after upgrading to the 1gig service?

0 Kudos