Menu
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds on NNTPS on 1 gig line after upgrading from 350mb

Hi all,

I've noticed a big speed difference when downloading over NTTPS (port 563 - which is NTP over TLS).

I used to be on the 350mb service, and was able to get 284mb+ downloads from my news server.

I have not changed my download server at home (1GB wired HP server)

Now on the 1 gig service, I cannot exceed 147mb. Is anyone finding out the same issue?

I have had virgin around already to correct signal levels etc, so I can exceed 900mb+ when doing speed tests etc, so it's not my equipment, which has not changed in 3 years.

Cat 6 everywhere, managed HP Procurve switches, Cisco ASA 5525-x

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds on NNTPS on 1 gig line after upgrading from 350mb

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Avalon-One
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Which client and how large is the queue? Also have you tried altering the connection count for the NTTP provider in the client? It's not about using the maximum available, but the minimum required to saturate the connection.

0 Kudos
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sam Knows passes fine, and I get a 1gig link (although I think it's a **bleep** test for people running in modem mode (is that router now?) )

That passes fine. The point is under the 350MB line I had had a faster download for the same files from the NNTPS server.

I wonder if there is some sort of different network the 1gig line traverses (perhaps they vlan the traffic off?) and the traffic egresses somewhere else?

I sadly didn't keep traceroutes to anywhere on the 350mb line, so can't troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yup, connections were 18 per server, but now 20 per server (max for this service). Still not much of a difference sadly.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use an SSL connection on port 563 with 60 connections via Newshosting and getting a full 112MB/s-115MB/s with no problems via 1 Gigabyte connection. Never used NNTPS if I'm honest.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
c240amg
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've swapped over to your news provider and am getting over double the speeds. I guess that the slowing of downloads must have been  a coincidence when I swapped over to my gig internet connection.

Thanks for that post.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@c240amg wrote:

I've swapped over to your news provider and am getting over double the speeds. I guess that the slowing of downloads must have been  a coincidence when I swapped over to my gig internet connection.

Thanks for that post.

Also I use the Netherlands server from Newshosting instead of the US server for us here in the UK as it's a lot quicker. I'm using Newsleecher and runs pretty well via that software.

Anyway, glad you got sorted my friend 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos