Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds making my internet pointless

Hi,

So I'm having issues with my speed (100MB) in my apartment. It seems to be fine everywhere else in my flat except for in the office where at most my speeds have been 30MB but on an evening it's only 1MB. I've used the connect app which still says everything is fine but it's taking forever to even open websites etc let alone loading videos. Using WIFI and there's no option for using a wired connection but all devices in this room have the same issue. I refuse to be buying a WIFI booster as I'm hardly in living in a mansion with a room far away from the router. What can I do?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds making my internet pointless

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I get that Wifi isn't reliable but I'd agree if I'd nevernhad WIFI in that room previously with several different suppliers. 

The WiFi has 2 doors to go through either side of a hall way. That's no real excuse for it being so bad...

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Doors and walls are barriers.

There is also interference to contend with !!

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So does this only apply to Virgin? Just said I'd had no issues with other suppliers......the room is literally 10 steps away from the router too. 

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@pcam86 wrote:

So does this only apply to Virgin? Just said I'd had no issues with other suppliers......the room is literally 10 steps away from the router too. 

Could you access the HUB and check the 'Connected devices' option on the left hand side.

This should show the 'Speed (Mbps)' your device is connected to as well as the band (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz).

0 Kudos