Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds for 24hrs+

Yesterday (03 Feb 2020) I was just streaming on Netflix only for everything to stop loading for minutes and I've had to stop watching my series because I can't stand having to watch it in 5 second increments every 2 minutes.  I am currently on a 100Mbps package with a wired connection, and when I run a speed test my download speed is usually around 90Mbps download which I am perfectly happy with.  It was on 1.5Mbps download last night and after having tried to restart my hub with no improvement, I decided to call it a night and try again the next day.  

It is now that next day (04 Feb 2020) and exactly 24 hours later I ran another speed test - 0.75Mbps download.  I tried to restart my hub once again.  I visited the Virgin Media site to check service status and everything seemed to be fine.  I went through the troubleshooter and tried almost everything that was suggested to me, I eventually was recommended to call 150 and I did.

I was on the phone to a man who first told me that it's because I have multiple devices connected that's causing traffic and that's why my speed is so slow.  I didn't believe him because no new devices had been added before the problem occurred the night before, in fact, nothing had changed at all since then.  He suggested I turn off wifi of all the devices that were connected and try running the speed test for him and it came out to be 1.48Mbps.  He straight away told me to run the test again - 0.95Mbps.  He asked me what type of ethernet cable I was using and I found out by reading the print on the cable itself.  He then concluded that it's because I don't have a CAT 6 ethernet cable(?) nor do I seem to have a... gigabit nic?  And that's why I'm not getting my 100Mbps and guaranteed that if I just upgraded to those parts then I won't have this issue again.  

I am nowhere near tech savvy but I don't see how changing a few PC parts and getting a new cable to my PC will boost my broadband speeds across all of my devices, especially when they have been working perfectly fine before and only now does it decide that it wants to run at 1% of the speed I'm supposed to have up to.  

I want to determine if this is a problem on my end or elsewhere but I really have no idea how to go about it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds for 24hrs+

Firstly set up a BQM at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal coming into the property, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

then ...

Carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

then

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

Let us know.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well, I've done as you asked, I guess all I can do is wait.

Information 

Cable Modem Status 

Downstream 

Upstream 

Upstream Burst 

Operation Configuration 

Network Log blank. I assume this is because I had reset my hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Post your upstream T# timeout just before midnight if they go up as the SH1 resets the counters every 24hr.

Do you get any timeouts if you run CMD
ping -n 200 194.168.4.100

Can you test with the hub in modem mode with a PC.

A change of Ethernet cable is a good idea should it be damaged.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I didn't get back last night, I checked again just and there have been 0 timeouts. I've only just figured out what I was meant to do with BQM so bear with me as I give it some time to determine a trend if any.

No time outs through CMD, ranging from 7ms to 1182ms, averaging 35ms. 0 packet loss.

I just changed my hub to modem mode and ran the test again on CMD, 3ms to 1328ms, average 53ms. 0 packet loss.

I also ran three more speed tests:

1. 11ms, 1.40Mbps dl and 0.26Mbps ul
2. 9ms, 1.44Mbps dl and 0.22Mbps ul
3. 8ms, 1.43Mbps dl and 0.25Mbps ul

I'm unsure of what I'm supposed to do with the test for outgoing ports? What am I supposed to report about that once it's finished?

I currently don't have another ethernet cable but I am considering getting a replacement soon. I still don't understand how that will help me, however, considering that all devices connected to the router are experiencing slow speeds and not just the PC with its wired connection.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi iGlompsh,

Thank you for getting in touvh on our forums, I'm really sorry that your broadband speeds have dropped and you've struggled to get support with this.

I've had a look at the backend of your services, as well as the wider network in your area. I haven't been able to identify any cause for concern at any point. Your modem stats are all within spec and there are no events on the network which may account for this symptom.

I appreciate that it's been a couple of days since you last commented here, are you still having the same trouble? If so, are you able to share your BQM so we can take a look at the results?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos