Menu
abigailg
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds around house.

Hi everyone,

We have a network problem in our flat. 

We have a Hub 3.0, 100Mbps. It is very reliable in the same room as the Hub, but in the study (which is the next room, on the same floor) it's very frequently impossible to do video calls as it becomes very choppy or says that your network connection is unstable (this is across both Skype and Zoom). The connection will immediately improve if you move the laptop into the same room as the Hub. It's becoming a biggish problem because I do a lot of my work on video calls, and it's driving my wife crazy by having me sit in the living room doing it!

Weirdly enough this has only been a problem for the past 3 or 4 weeks. We haven't moved the position of the Hub or anything. The VM App said (frustratingly) that there were not any WiFi blackspots around the house and that the connection was "Great" in the Study.

Is anyone able to help me troubleshoot this please?

Could this a problem with my laptop and its ability to read WiFi signals from further away? Or is it a call for a Booster (even though the app said it was OK and it's only the next room?!)?

Thank you so much.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds around house.

WiFi speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed.

Can you run a cable to the room in question?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It could be a wireless problem, if for example the laptop concerned has poor sensitivity.  Or if the hub is broadcasting both 2.4 and 5 GHz signals with the same network name, that confuses some devices, or if "automatic optimisation" is enabled in the hub's wireless settings.  I'd try changing those settings to get the best out of the hub as this quick and free.  So log in to the hub, go into wireless settings, (you may need to root around a bit to find these), and change the network name so that it is different for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands (anything you want, Abinet24 and Abinet5 for example, building on your forum name).  Then click Apply changes.  Next find the setting for "Automatic optimisation" (might be "channel optimisation"), turn that off as it can cause the hub to flick between different channels, and some devices don't like that one bit - and again "apply changes".  If you've changed the network names, you'll need to reconnect your wireless devices - choose the 5 GHz if the device supports that, but you can connect to both and allow the device to choose.  Try that, let us know if things improve.

But these disconnections might be coincidental timing issues and a fault on your broadband cable connection.  If when you're logged into the hub, you go to Advanced settings>Tools>Network status and click on the tab called Network log, have a scan and scroll down the gobbledeygook, and see if there's any entries with descriptions that include the terms T3 timeout, RCS Partial Service, or Synchronization errors.  The odd T3 timeout is not a problem, if you're seeing lots, or the other terms I've listed, then it could be an intermittent connection.  If that's the case report back and we can do some more digging.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to our Community Forum abigailg and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds and I've had a look at your details but cannot find any issues or errors. Have you managed to take a look at the suggestion already posted by Andruser to see whether it helps? Please let us know so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

abigailg
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I tried this suggestion yesterday and it seems to have worked. It's been less than 24 hours but there haven't been any problems at all (when I was ready to throw the computer out the window before!). Thank you so very much everybody.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Great stuff abigailg, thanks for popping back to let us know it's working. Please monitor it and let us know if you have anymore issues with it.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos